Large lump above chickens eye with wheezing and some coughing

Netchicks

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2014
I noticed today that a few of my flock were coughing. As I was watching the girls I noticed my Marans has a large lump above her eye. When I picked her up it sounded like she was wheezing. I have 10 girls and I observed about 4 of them coughing. They all seem to be eating and drinking fine and they have normal energy. I cleaned out their waterers and added a little ACV to their water. I plan to clean their bedding this weekend but I had recently done it a little over a week ago and haven’t changed shavings brand. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2443.jpeg
    IMG_2443.jpeg
    511 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2445.jpeg
    IMG_2445.jpeg
    621.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2442.jpeg
    IMG_2442.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2440.jpeg
    IMG_2440.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 7
Have you added any new birds recently?

You can put a dab of Terramycin or Triple antibiotic ointment on the swelling. Can you see if there's a scab like she may have been pecked?

If they are all coughing, try to determine if the cause is environmental (dust, ammonia) or perhaps respiratory illness. Monitor them and if symptoms get worse, then treating respiratory symptoms with Tylan/Tylosin may be an appropriate step to take.

Have you added any new birds recently?

You can put a dab of Terramycin or Triple antibiotic ointment on the swelling. Can you see if there's a scab like she may have been pecked?

If they are all coughing, try to determine if the cause is environmental (dust, ammonia) or perhaps respiratory illness. Monitor them and if symptoms get worse, then treating respiratory symptoms with Tylan/Tylosin may be an appropriate step to take.
I recently added 7 birds to my small flock of 4 so I now have 10. We have a large run. I was also wondering if maybe it is a bee sting?? It is not scabbing. We have hives in our yard as well. I will try the triple antibiotic ointment this morning. Thank you for the advice. Fingers crossed I don’t have a respiratory illness going around my flock.

I recently added 7 birds to my small flock of 4 so I now have 10. We have a large run. I was also wondering if maybe it is a bee sting?? It is not scabbing. We have hives in our yard as well. I will try the triple antibiotic ointment this morning. Thank you for the advice. Fingers crossed I don’t have a respiratory illness going around my flock.
Could be a sting.
Hopefully it will go down in a few days.

If the respiratory symptoms worsen, then you may need to treat with Tylan/Tylosin to help give them some relief.

Sometimes when you bring in new birds, they can be carriers of respiratory illnesses and spread it to others, but let's hope this is not the case.

Back
Top Bottom