Chickens are eating crab grass killer

Xistina

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2019
Our Gardner came and irrigated the lawn and spread crab grass killer on the lawn. I have my chickens separated to the lawn area but one of my grand kids left the gate open and this morning I found them all munching down on the pellets. I am so upset for many reasons as I should of thought this through in many more ways. Will my chickens get sick? So far I do not see any issues. Will the eggs be unhealthy and if so how long? How does one dissolve the granduals and how long will it stay on the lawn? OMG!! What was once okay is not since I now have my chickens and do my best to give them the best life they can have until now!! :(

Below is a PDF to the product that was used. Anyone have any ideas about this type of thing?

https://assets.greenbook.net/L116508.pdf

Thank you for your input

There are some very knowledgeable people here on BYC and hopefully someone has the info you need.

My opinion is that if I didn’t have a vet that treats chickens I would pay the $65 fee and consult with the animal poison control center.

Here is info about them with the phone number.

No, it isn’t free like the human poison control is but I’ve seen veterinarians use their service countless times and wouldn’t hesitate to use their services.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control

In the meantime let me tag some people who may be able to help out or give opinions.

@casportpony @Eggcessive @Texas Kiki @Wyorp Rock @WVduckchick @azygous @aart

This is all I can find on the web about it and pets. Prodiamine is the active ingredient.
Answer: Yes, Prodiamine 65 WDG (Generic Barricade) is safe for pets as long as it is used as directed. Pets do need to be kept out of the area while the product is being applied, but can be allowed to re-enter the area once the product is dry (usually withn a few hours).Aug 17, 2015

Couldn't find out anything on ingestion by pets but got to believe it wouldn't be too good for them to ingest it.
Call Poision Control and get a correct answer and if any thing can be done to eliminate the toxins from their system.

Back
Top Bottom