Chickens are Smart

triciayoung

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Oct 15, 2022
Mountville, SC
My Coop
My Coop
I am starting this thread to share stories about how smart chickens are. I will begin:

I have 9-hen and 2-roosters. The roosters are in their own bachelor pad. Because I work at home, I have some flexibility regarding when to go clean the coop, clean feeders and waterers, and refill everything. I go open the coops at sunrise, and because it is winter, I take my hens and roosters something warm to eat like oatmeal or scrambled eggs. When it is not raining, I grab my laptop, let the hens into their 65-foot chunnel and the roosters to roam the backyard. In the hen run there are two dust baths, and one in the bachelor pad. One day about a week ago, I was filling in some holes in the hen run and inadvertently noticed the dust bath schedule in two dust baths for 5-hens. The next day, I went out about 1/2 hour later than the day before and saw the other 4-hens dust bathing. The next day, out of curiosity, I backed my time up an hour - grabbed my laptop, and sat quietly in the hen run. I recorded, Abby and Molly dust bathed at 10:12am, Snowtop and Henrietta at 10:31am, Lucy and Stella at 10:50, Nugget and Beyonce at 11:06, and Chicken Little by herself at 11:19. So, the next day, I actually changed a meeting so that I could go sit in the hen run again (can't have a meeting with Roosters crowing at loud decibels), at the same time. Abby and Molly at 10:15am, Snowtop and Henrietta waiting in line at 10:30 ready to kick them out, but did get their dust baths at 10:33am, Lucy and Stella at 10:50, Nugget and Beyonce at 11:05, and Chicken Little at 11:18. My hens do not have alarms or clocks but dust bathed the next day in the same order within 5-minutes from the day before. And, by the way, the order for dust bathing is not the pecking order - go figure. Chickens are so smart and organized. For today, I will just think I have the smartest chickens in the world.

Last edited:
Your observations prove how smart chickens are. But they are also creatures of habit. Once they adopt a habit, you can't pry it from their little memories.
I know right? Their brains are tiny, yet they knew the time to start, time to end and the order - and reproduced it the next day. That is highly organized intelligence.

Chickens may seem to have a tiny brain, but it is more than adequate for the job, and they seem willing to use it. Compare chickens to humans with huge brains who seem very unwilling to use what they have, needing most of the time to be told what they should do.
Well said. I can't even get 9 people to a meeting, some missing, some very late, for one day; much less two. And they have phones with alarms.

Back
Top Bottom