1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Chickens are so dumb

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Q9, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Imagine that you're one of four RIR hens in a tractor. Okay, good. Now imagine that it's a winter day and it's beginning to POUR down rain.

Under these circumstances, what would you do? Probably head indoors for shelter, right? WRONG. If you're one of our hens, you'd stand outside like a goon and get soaked, while looking absolutely miserable. At the first hint of snow, however, you'd fly into a complete panic and dash for shelter.

New scenario: Searing July day. One of the humans comes and sprays you lightly with the hose. Common sense dictates that you would stand under the water and cool off. Not ours. Complete panic and a mad dash for the coop is what happens.

Are ALL chickens this dumb, or is it just ours? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Not mine. [​IMG]

3. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    My chickens also learned where to stand to keep the rain off their heads. They are scared of hose and its the only thing that works if i want them to learn that they should not go to an area, not that it does really work tho

4. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    My girls are geniuses. They do the crossword puzzle in pen.

5. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Looks like it's just yours. [​IMG]

Actually, my rooster stands on the doorstep all fluffed up and angry looking when it rains, waiting for Mommy to come wescue her poor wittle baby. [​IMG]

6. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    My chickens HATE the 'spitting cobra' (aka garden hose). The poor delicate creatures also get quite offended with me when I make it rain. [​IMG] Like I have any control over the weather - silly birds.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  7. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:You oughtta here ours when it rains. If I go out to get eggs, they go berserk. [​IMG] Like I said, though, they stand outside IN the rain! First hint of snow, though, and they run for their little lives. [​IMG]

8. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    Quote:Mine play checkers.

9. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG] I would have to say that mine aren't TOO dumb.... [​IMG] Well, ok. [​IMG] Then hens are but my roosters crow on command! [​IMG] LOL

10. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Mine are kinda spoiled and were smart enough to train this human to not only feed them, clean their house, but also bring them treats and pet them. [​IMG]

My chickens don't like snow either they want me to carry them around when there is snow on the ground. ........... [​IMG] i do [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by