Chickens are stupid!

max13077

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2008
Fingerlakes Upstate, NY
There's no other way to say it! We're having a thaw today. It's been in the 20's for a couple of weeks and it's 45 today. There is a large pine tree in the middle of my birds run. the snow is melting off helped by some rain we had this morning. The chickens are staying inside the coop or out from under the tree right? Nope! They're crowding right under it! Some of my RIR's look like drowned rats!! I want to know if they will be OK? I know chicks can get chilled and die.

You do need to watch them. I'm guessing you're going to go back below freezing later and its at that point the chickens will start to "freeze up" if they haven't dried off.

So NY is going under a big melt like seattle is. We too are now melting off our 14 inches really fast. It's like 40 outside vs the 30 it was. If NY is like here, I don't think you'll have to worry that much. Mine are out in the wet too, and temps probably won't go back to under freezing for a while. I want this snow to go away and my rainy seattle to come BACK! You can drive in rain....

Thinking about taking out the hairdryer when I put the girls to bed tonight myself. Have a half dozen soaking wet birds that don't seem to care. I'm just happy for now that the rain we are getting is not six more inches of snow.

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy :

Thinking about taking out the hairdryer when I put the girls to bed tonight myself.

Great idea!!! I wonder how that will go?
lol.png
I'll try it....
big_smile.png

my rir's smart
tongue.png
it is 35* and raining and they are in the coop under the roof right. nope they are out splashing in the rain looking like wet rats. my chickens must be part duck somewhere down the line.

Yeah, Missouri chickens are no smarter. It is warm and rainy here today and I was working in the kitchen when I looked out and was surprised to see soaking wet chickens walking around in the yard. Their house is nice and dry -- I laid down fresh bedding yesterday....

When I went out this afternoon to talke the kids on a puddle jumping expedition I snapped this:
7546_wet_chicks.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom