Chickens aren't laying :(

abbymckinn

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Hi, so I have 6 chickens. 2 Speckled Sussex, one Americana, two campines and one production red. I am a little confused cause they where all laying pretty good ( except one of the campines that I think is older) but then they slowed down in summer. Only the production red and Americana have started laying again. I know they are not laying elsewhere, cause we have locked them in the coop for a couple days. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Nope, except for the campines, but I think one is a lot older, and the other got attacked by a dog a while ago, she is fine just spooky. Two of them (speckled Sussex and production red) have a cough/sneezing, but the production red is still our best layer! I don't know why they aren't laying?! They get plenty to eat, exersize, love, and treats!

I have the same problem. 2 Sussex speckled have not been laying for 3 weeks. One is missing a lot of feathers. I heard they don't lay when molting. But now I am worried about the amount of feather loss too. Does anyone have any experience with this?

You may consider changing the laying crumble you feed. Although it's getting cooler and they slow down or stop anyway. Maybe you will have to wait till spring to get a better assessment. I feel that even free range should have a supplemental for good production.

Ok, they mainly free range, a lot of meal worms and treats and some chicken feed along with birdseed. So they have enough to eat and a varied diet.

As the days get shorter....the chickens slow down on laying. So many thing can affect the way chickens lay:

1. Diet
2. Lack of clean water
3. Lack of sunlight (shorter days)
4. Temperature fluctuations (cold one day....hot the next)
5. Feeling insecure (like closed in spots to lay eggs)
6. Any type of trauma (dog, coon, snake, rats invading their territory).
7. Illness of some sort
8. Moulting (loosing feathers and getting new feathers....sometimes takes several months)
9. Not getting proper nutrition from feed
10. Also need grit and oyster shell free choice at all times

Right now in TX we are experiencing crazy weather.....warm....cold and a few hot days....so the chickens are confused and are not laying right now. I've also been told that they will start laying again after the Solstice (Dec. 21, 2013). So, we'll see........
fl.gif

I feel like the chickens all laugh at me. I'm an easy mark. I keep feeding & caring for them and they aren't even laying eggs. 15 birds. 1 egg a day. I'm a sucker!

Back
Top Bottom