chickens as mousers

furry

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Lisle, Illinois
My chicken caught a mouse! Actually, it was a short-tailed shrew, and I suspect she may have found it already dead, but she looked very proud with the little furry rodent hanging from her beak. I traded her some cracked corn for the carcass, as I wasn't sure of the cause of death. Is this common chicken behavior?

I used to have a mouse or rat run out from under the tractors every time I moved them. Ever since my Buckeyes have gotten big enought to start laying, I havent seen any signs of a rodent. I suspect they are catching the mice but I havent actually seen it for myself.

I wonder if certain breeds of chickens are more apt to eat small rodents? My Father-in-Law's game chickens would snatch anything that didn't get out of their way including human toes. I learned to wear shoes around them.

When you see a chicken chasing a mouse, you don't have doubts that chickens are modern and smaller velociraptors...
wink.png

Chickens will eat/kill anything they can over power and/or aren't threatened by. Mine have killed 50 square feet of grass, mice, frogs, hornets, bees, fish, tried to kill a kitten, and tested my 14" beagle
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom