chickens as mousers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by furry, Aug 15, 2010.

1. furry

furry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Lisle, Illinois
    My chicken caught a mouse! Actually, it was a short-tailed shrew, and I suspect she may have found it already dead, but she looked very proud with the little furry rodent hanging from her beak. I traded her some cracked corn for the carcass, as I wasn't sure of the cause of death. Is this common chicken behavior?

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    It's relatively common. I've only seen mine eat baby mice, but others seem to eat full grown mice regularly. I wish mine would learn that trick...

3. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

chickens will kill and eat mice. they are sharp beaked little buggers!

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I've heard they eat mice and read it in my book. My son has mice and I keep threatening to feed them to the chooks if he doesn't clean them out

5. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    I used to have a mouse or rat run out from under the tractors every time I moved them. Ever since my Buckeyes have gotten big enought to start laying, I havent seen any signs of a rodent. I suspect they are catching the mice but I havent actually seen it for myself.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    I wonder if certain breeds of chickens are more apt to eat small rodents? My Father-in-Law's game chickens would snatch anything that didn't get out of their way including human toes. I learned to wear shoes around them.

7. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I haven't seen mine catch mice, but they sure love the little geckos we get around here.

8. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    When you see a chicken chasing a mouse, you don't have doubts that chickens are modern and smaller velociraptors...[​IMG]

9. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Yeah, my SEBRIGHTS kill mice... but my DELAWARE rooster won't even come off the perch if one is around. Its sad. lol.

10. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Chickens will eat/kill anything they can over power and/or aren't threatened by. Mine have killed 50 square feet of grass, mice, frogs, hornets, bees, fish, tried to kill a kitten, and tested my 14" beagle [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by