Chickens attack by unknown animal

jessedl

Hatching
May 4, 2018
my flock was recently terrorized by some animal(s) the last 3 nights. It climbed onto the roof of the coop and got in through the vent. (I have since put up hardware cloth) but half of my flock is gone. About 3 a night. However two of them were severely injured do I need to sow these wounds? Some are down to the bone I’m guessing because the other hens saw blood It’s been about two days like this. The color is like that because I’ve used sprays and ointment on them. Also it seems as though they can’t use one of their legs. My guess is that it’s because they’re sore.

Sorry if there’s bad grammar/punctuation I’m on my phone.
0F9BCD3F-AC38-48DA-BD71-A0BE56C082EB.jpeg
237AD906-8372-4C56-BB80-5DE22BD90EDA.jpeg
BDC4AF03-BC56-4BA4-9F79-83AC7C341775.jpeg
1B6A0340-C93D-401F-ACCD-7FB15DA81282.jpeg
D5A5E114-962F-4D80-AD0B-996143BC8A94.jpeg
C2DA26DD-6005-43A5-AAD3-F0A2382ECCDB.jpeg

Looks like a raccoon. Hardware cloth is your best chance, little snot's have a hard time with that. I'd also leave a trap with some bait.

We think it's racoon to now, though the prints we found haven't matched a racoon's. I have used blue-kote, and a couple others. we set an alarm every hour last night and checked on them. at about 12:30 we saw them. one was on the roof, and the other was on the ground. unfortunately it was so far away with a flashlight we couldn't quite tell what it was. I ran out there half naked with my gun and some roman candles from last year to try and scare them off for the night. lol

One of our chickens got attacked by a raccoon, we brought her in and put some vasoline around the deepest part of the wound. Then we started packing the deepest part of wound with damp toilet paper and wrapped it with gauze. We did that every night until it was sealed closed. She is way better now but one of her legs is paralyzed, but she still lays eggs. We put her in a separate coop so the others won’t kill her. So what I am saying is do what I did and keep doing it, also her leg might be paralyzed.

Back
Top Bottom