Chicken's been wheezing for a week (videos) - should I give antibiotics?

allebasi4

Songster
Apr 23, 2020
Northern California
I've posted about this before but I have a 12 week-ish old pullet who has been wheezing & sneezing (or coughing?) for almost a week (first noticed last Sunday). When I first noticed her wheeze it was an extreme honking noise and she was sneezing quite a lot. Here's a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ajyui2n7x5kjrr/IMG_3962.MOV?dl=0
She's been acting fairly normal, besides the hard breathing, and has been eating/drinking/playing/poops look normal. No discharge or bubbles from eyes or nostrils.
It's been colder than normal & wet here so that may have been a contributing factor, or she has/had something stuck in her trachea but I don't really have the help to look down her throat. Coop & run have been pretty clean, though I noticed old food & poops have been molding over.
I got some VetRX and treated her, and she was wheezing much less the next day, though she still had a slight noise & was open mouth breathing, and her breathing was still labored (could see the down on her butt moving a lot more than normal). She would occasionally have "fits" of sneezing/stretched neck breathing, video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9dvcnh3fe8nxcn9/IMG_3977.MOV?dl=0.
I also got some NurtiDrench and have been putting it in their water. My other chickens don't seem to be showing symptoms, yet. But she doesn't seem to be improving, though it doesn't really seem like she's getting worse. The labored breathing obviously scares me though.
I put my ear to her chest/back to try to hear her lungs and I couldn't hear anything remarkable, until I got up towards her neck, which makes me think she has or had something stuck in there.
Here is a couple videos of her from earlier... if you listen closely you can hear the wheeze: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qr9o5x19c1rosb/IMG_3990.MOV?dl=0
& https://www.dropbox.com/s/izi4hby1gmrrkmq/IMG_3988.MOV?dl=0
If it's not something stuck, it seems most similar to infectious bronchitis from what I've read, and I'm not convinced this is a bacterial infection & I know that if it were viral it wouldn't respond to antibiotics, but I'm concerned about a secondary infection since she seems stressed. I have Amoxitex on hand and I'm wondering if it would be harmful to go ahead and treat her when I don't really know what's going on exactly. I'm stumped.
Thanks for reading!

If anyone sees this in the future and is wondering what happened - she ended up passing away about 6 days after first showing symptoms. I took her in for a necropsy and it came back as "fungal tracheitis" most likely Aspergillosis.

If anyone sees this in the future and is wondering what happened - she ended up passing away about 6 days after first showing symptoms. I took her in for a necropsy and it came back as "fungal tracheitis" most likely Aspergillosis.
Sorry for losing you girl, but thank you for posting the results. I'm curious where you think she got the aspergillosis from, any ideas?

Sorry for losing you girl, but thank you for posting the results. I'm curious where you think she got the aspergillosis from, any ideas?
The scary part is that I don’t really know... I’m sure it’s pretty prolific in the environment here anyway but my guess is that maybe she ate some feed that had dropped on the ground and molded over because it’s been wet lately. Or, it’s possible that the dry straw I laid on the ground about 4 days prior to her showing symptoms was harboring spores because that stuff was suuuuper dusty, and it was my first time using straw for them. I’m definitely nervous to put down straw again

Thanks for posting the outcome, I will take your advice because your girl did sound like mine in the beginning! I hope our experiences can help others, because it is just so heartbreaking to watch them suffer :(

Thanks for posting the outcome, I will take your advice because your girl did sound like mine in the beginning! I hope our experiences can help others, because it is just so heartbreaking to watch them suffer :(
Of course! It’s all a big (sometimes difficult) learning experience. I hope things turn out ok for yours but keep me posted either way :)

Back
Top Bottom