Chickens dig tunnels?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HuskerHens18, Jul 6, 2018.

1. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch

Shingles sound like a good idea. Never thought of that one.

HuskerHens18 likes this.
  2. It worked through the night! There are a few extra, I might try burying them in places and see if I can get this to last a little longer. Because that would be great

3. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch

Pleasant surprise, for a change.

ChickNanny13 and HuskerHens18 like this.
  4. Haha yes! I am not sure the last time I had a pleasant surprise. Usually they're all terrible surprises, like finding your dog wanted to get up earlier, so he became the hulk and made a giant hole in the side of his wire kennel, then had a few accidents on his way to find you. :th

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have had a few dig out over the years but I stake down the wire and put some 1 ft. chicken wire around where they dug out.

PennyM, ChickNanny13 and HuskerHens18 like this.
  6. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Songster

:goodpost:Mine haven't started digging out, but when I see the craters that develop from dust bathing, I'm not surprised. My predator proof run is about 30x30 so they aren't desperate to get out, but I just added back the exterior run because it has green stuff growing. They are all very excited. Now I just have to put up the netting... already saw a hawk. :oops:

7. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Songster

Might be time to name your coop Alcatraz! :gig

8. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    :oldPlace wild bird feeders around your property and keep them full. Black birds/mocking birds/blue jays will nest near a food source. AND then they will protect the nests by chasing off the hawks.

9. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
  10. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Songster

:bowWe do feed the birds, lots of feeders all over the place, but we also have a large area of lawn, mature trees on the boundaries of the acre and the house up towards the street on one side. The darn hawks have swooped down above my last dog who was 15 lbs... they get down and realize they don't want him and just swoop back up! He never even noticed them diving! I think they got down to about 3 feet over his head! Lots of Crows and Jays, and even the occasional Grackle... I haven't lost one to hawks in a long time, because of the netting. Once it is up the the hens just do this: :tongue! and I do this: :yesss:

BY Bob, Chickygirl63, PennyM and 4 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: