chickens dying now rooster

mamatomany

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
South Carolina
I have lost 8 out of 10 RIR pullets that are just 5 months old. Same symptoms...find them unable to stand, they just fall over on one side. No drainage, no nothing. Also, it seems they are very friendly before they die. No respiratory nothing. My rooster, I found him down and out in the coop about 2 hours ago. I try to get him to stand, won't. I gave him 1 cc pro-pen. I figured it was a repiratory hereditary thing in the 8 as they came from the same place, hatched at the same time. The two that are left are smallish and their legs are scrawny and pale, and their combs are not really in? Not sure if I am dealing with mareks disease or not. I brought the rooster in and checked him for mites, ticks, anything crawling...nothing. They are free range with a nice coop to hang in. 2 feeders and fresh water all the time. They were raised on medicated chick starter and are eating nutrena laying pellets. Ask away with any questions that may help me with this mystery...it is truly a heart break.

Did they all die the same day, or over a period of time. Also, have you recently changed something in their feeding and watering routine?

Color of combs good or pale?

Any of the girls laying yet? If so, how regularly?

No changes in anything....they have died over a period of about 6-8 weeks. As stated earlier, the last 2 of the 10 are smallish and their feet are pale and scrawny and their combs are not really coming in - no they are not laying The rooster's comb is not as bright red, but still red.

Have one of your birds necropsied so that you will know what you are dealing with...sounds awfully like Marek's to me. The best way to find out is to have a necropsy done. Most states have labs that will do one for free or for a small fee.

Have one of your birds necropsied so that you will know what you are dealing with...sounds awfully like Marek's to me. The best way to find out is to have a necropsy done. Most states have labs that will do one for free or for a small fee.

x2 Your county extension agent, state department of agriculture or even a vet might give you directions on how to go about having a necropsy performed, just give them a call if you wish.

Quote:

X 3. I hope it's not, but it does sound like it.
hugs.gif

Sorry, but it does seem to be classic Marek's disease. If you have a school of veterinary medicine in SC call them and they would probably do a necropsy for you. Our local university does them for free. I know this would be hard for you but they will usually accept a live bird that is showing symptoms and euthanize and necropsy it for you. Better to know for sure what you are dealing with.

I am so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom