Rooster died

Jo Protherough

Chirping
May 30, 2020
My old boy died in my arms this evening. We think he was about 8 years old, he'd been with us nearly 5 years.

He was acting a bit odd yesterdaywhen I went to lock them up, normally he stands up and lets me stroke his back and crows. Then he stayed in the hut today, so at 6pm we took him some porridge and corn, made sure he had a drink of water. He collapsed shortly afterwards, flapped and flopped on the floor then died as iheld him and tried to massage his chest (hopeless I know but i hoped it might work).

Really melancholy now. He was a big mean old thing but he was good with hens and good with me. I don't know how long roosters live but i wish he'd had longer.

My old boy died in my arms this evening. We think he was about 8 years old, he'd been with us nearly 5 years.

He was acting a bit odd yesterdaywhen I went to lock them up, normally he stands up and lets me stroke his back and crows. Then he stayed in the hut today, so at 6pm we took him some porridge and corn, made sure he had a drink of water. He collapsed shortly afterwards, flapped and flopped on the floor then died as iheld him and tried to massage his chest (hopeless I know but i hoped it might work).

Really melancholy now. He was a big mean old thing but he was good with hens and good with me. I don't know how long roosters live but i wish he'd had longer.
It was a heart attack.I have had perfectly healthy roosters do this right in front of me,without warning. Some do tend to slow down a day or two,before it happens.What you described fits the pattern. I just lost my Jerry today,that way.He was healthy,alive and eating,but had slowed down a bit.then suddenly collapsed.And he was only 5 years old.I also have a 12 year-old Rhode island rooster,about 12,who was ok,but had slowed down the past couple days.-he is now dead.Heart failure.

Last edited:

So sorry. That must be hard.:hugs

It was a heart attack.I have had perfectly healthy roosters do this right in front of me,without warning. Some do tend to slow down a day or two,before it happens.What you described fits the pattern. I just lost my Jerry today,that way.He was healthy,alive and eating,but had slowed down a bit.then suddenly collapsed.And he was only 5 years old.I also have a 12 year-old Rhode islkand rooster,aboutb12,who was ok,but had slowed down the past couple days.-he died tonight. Heart failure.

Sorry to hear it. 8 years is a good age to reach. Anything after 5 is a bonus in the chicken world. They can get to 10 and more, if you are lucky and they have the right genetics. I've seen what you describe and I reckon it was a heart attack. The older the bird the higher the risk.

1705838262613.png

Back
Top Bottom