Chickens eaten by neighbours dogs

Sorry but nice neighbours and irresponsible dog owners should never be used in the same sentence. They contradict each other.

If they want to breed a hunting dog then they need to be responsible. One day it won't be a chicken or a cat or a goat it will be a small child.

Here we are allowed to bait dogs attacking stock. It has to be done through the proper Chanel's and neighbours must be notified the baits are being put out. Amazing how suddenly they can keep their dogs locked up afterall.

Last edited:
Wow the last half of this thread sure does exemplify everything that's wrong with BYC in a nutshell (and there's not much wrong with our friendly and informative messageboard)- misinformation, bad and dangerous advice, and an overall tolerance of it by the folks who run the board.

Here is what you do if your neighbors have a dog or dogs, or dog or dogs run loose in your neighborhood
1. talk to the neighbors about your concerns- BEFORE they attack your animals.
2. BUY A FENCE- have it professionally installed if you can't do it well- make it a six foot chain link fence- YES WE HAVE RESPONSIBLITIES AS CHICKEN OWNERS (and yes, life is not fair- never will be)
3. call the police when the dogs are loose and on your property- REPORT IT, Call the police WHEN your chickens are killed, CALL The police, CALL the police, Call the Police- did I mention CALL the police
4. Why you might ask- well the police just might be able to get the offenders to change thier ways- go figure AND- if you've had a problem before the police just might be a little more forceful the next time- and If you need to take them to court or god forbid shoot a dog- you've got someone to say- yep they had multiple occassions to call us when the dogs have done this or that in the past
5. TAKE PICTURES- of ther dogs in your yard, of the dead birds, of the digging they did to get into your yard of the electric fence they destroyed, of the hen house they tore apart- TAKE PICTURES
6. CALL The local news station- say "your chickens were attacked by a neighbors dog AND you have video and pictures or you have the dead birds to clean up yet- any interest in helping me out- the township, the police have done little and it continues, etc,etc etc, yeah it might not work- but you can bet you butt they'll be out to interview you when you shoot a dog and itlll be "poor little snoopy got out once and this maniac shot my dog over a few chickens that can be replaced for 30 bucks"- yeah that's rotten but how many folks will relate to the dog owner losing a dog and how many to a chicken owner killing a dog over a few chickens- yep I know, but remember- life is not fair
7. do all of the above BEFORE you shoot a dog- PLEASEEEEE
8. do not give advice to anyone to Shoot a dog- what to use, how to use, etc, etc, etc, just what is "close range"bb shot, bird shot, bb gun, 22 shot that's "not bird shot", etc, etc, etc, the only thing worse than killing a dog is WOUNDING ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now you hae fluffy "clinging to life" all bandaged up and soaking up the sympathy vote- again- eh, yep, LIFE IS NOT FAIR.

There it is in a hurried nutshell- but come on folks- if we own chickens and don't fence them in we're too blame as well, If we own chickens and don't fence them in well enough- yep, we're to blame too, I DON"T CARE WHAT MY NEIGHBORS DO- I only care what I do- I have hounds, chickens, peafowl, and goats- if my neighbors dog eats my chicken it's as much my fault for not keeping them safe as it is my neighbors for not keeping his dog under control. How about this - make it illegal for a chicken to free range except on a true working farm- OTHERWISE the owner can be charged with not keeping their chickens under control................ ugghh right

As backyard chicken owners were in the minority- which means we don't have the same rights as dog and cat owners, which means we need to follow the letter of the law- why you might ask.........well...............simple.............. OUR ACTIONS affect every backyard chicken owner in America- the internet sure makes it a small world doesn't it. AND REMEMBER- LEGAL Means little in the court of PUBLIC OPINION.

Please do me, eh scratch that, do all of us backyard chicken owners a favor, PM the folks that run this board and let them know that by allowing discussion of the killing of dogs, by allowing the mention of SSS as a means to an end they are damaging and endangering the very thing this website promotes- THE KEEPING OF BACKYARD CHICKENS- UGGGGGHHHHHHHHH, they will send us a nice little disclaimer about not condoning, etc, etc, really just a feel good excuse for gutless lack of backbone on this issues. If chcken owners are going to advocate, allow discussion of, on the biggest backyard chicken owners message board, the shooting of dogs and cats because they threaten thier chickens in the vast majority of cases the chickens are going to get banned and regulated out of town- THIS MESSAGE BOARD contributes to this very thing- kinda like an episode of opposite world. Time to wake up, grow a backbone and steer this section of the message board in the right direction- irresponsiblity can't be justified with a simple disclaimer. and if anyone take offience to this- I could care less- someone needed to say it- others need to affirm it- WE need to change the thought process of those running this board in regards to the shooting of dogs and the concecept of SSS on a public message board and in the minds of backyard chicken owners.
Keystonepaul

its not bird shot. It spreads when you fire. It peppers them.
Yes it is birdshot, birdshot spreads when you fire, the 22 cal birdshot is very tiny shot it is #12 bird shot which is 4 sizes smaller than what is typically used to shoot trap/skeet, #12 is very tiny and doesn't have much weight which is why they don't have any range, also a 22 barrel is rifled for bullets not smooth bore for shot which I believe adds to the inconsistency of the 22 birdshot. Buckshot is very large shot, all but the very smallest wouldn't even fit down a 22 barrel let alone be packed into a shell and if it were there would only be 1 or 2 pellets in there if it were buckshot. Here are some links to some of the ammo:

http://www.basspro.com/Federal-Premium-GameShok-22LR-Bird-Shot-Rimfire-Ammo/product/120829053330614/
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1273666
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=0039

Here is a discussion about the poor effectiveness of those rounds:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/answe...ce-shooting-22lr-12-birdshot-rounds-one-farms

Last edited:
I've shot a stray, sick dog with buckshot before - and the mess and damage was awful. I had to shoot him 3 times before he finally died.
I would imagine shooting a dog 3 times with buckshot would be a mess. Buckshot is very lethal stuff, if a animal is within range there shouldn't be any need to shoot more than once for a clean kill.

Quote: I might be a girl, but I've been hunting with all manners of shot, rifle loads, and bows since I was around 9 years old. The dog was definitely in range, as it was standing 40 feet from where my children had been playing in our backyard, streaming drool and growling. The thing was sick. The first shot hit him in the chest, the second in the chest again as he started lunging towards me, and the last I aimed for his head. We still call that dog the "zombie dog" that wouldn't die. Scary.

I might be a girl, but I've been hunting with all manners of shot, rifle loads, and bows since I was around 9 years old. The dog was definitely in range, as it was standing 40 feet from where my children had been playing in our backyard, streaming drool and growling. The thing was sick. The first shot hit him in the chest, the second in the chest again as he started lunging towards me, and the last I aimed for his head. We still call that dog the "zombie dog" that wouldn't die. Scary.

Holy Crap, sounds like something out of a Stephen King movie!

Our neighbors dogs killed everyone of my chickens and 2 of my calves. I called the cops to do an incident report (for taxes on the cattle). The officer told us that we had the right to defend our animals by any means necessary(shooting them). I have had to completly start over with the chickens and it is VERY upsetting!

Back
Top Bottom