Chickens eating feathers

Eating the random shed feather is normal. If their protein intake is too low they will start pulling feathers to eat.

All the EEs I've had haven't done well under 18% protein and do best at 20%. Regular layer feed of 16% made them try and strip each other bald. The bad behavior went away when I switched them to higher protein feed.

Ditch the cracked corn. It's like letting them fill up on cotton candy. Most of their diet should be grower at 20% protein. The mealworms are excellent protein. Some veggies and fruits are fine, but make sure most of their intake is the grower feed, as it's formulated for correct chicken nutrition. As long as they're not feather picking, I wouldn't worry too much.

Eating the random shed feather is normal. If their protein intake is too low they will start pulling feathers to eat.

All the EEs I've had haven't done well under 18% protein and do best at 20%. Regular layer feed of 16% made them try and strip each other bald. The bad behavior went away when I switched them to higher protein feed.
Thanks they aren't pulling any out so I won't worry now
& if I go to the feed store how will I know what % of protein it is so I think ima buy them 20 protein they're not behaving in that way but I rather be safe then sorry
Thank you :)

Ditch the cracked corn. It's like letting them fill up on cotton candy. Most of their diet should be grower at 20% protein. The mealworms are excellent protein. Some veggies and fruits are fine, but make sure most of their intake is the grower feed, as it's formulated for correct chicken nutrition. As long as they're not feather picking, I wouldn't worry too much.
OK so i shouldn't give them cracked corn at all? I usually give them 1/4 mixed into their quick grow feed I should just leave it out? & yes their main intake is there grower feed fruit veggies & mealworms are treats , how many mealworms can i give them I usually give them around 6 each should I up the mealworms ? Ok thank you I'm not worried now :)

Leave the corn out. Very little nutrition but fills them up and they love it like giving kids candy. Mealworms are fine and that's about the right amount. Some veggies and fruits are good, but again don't let em load up on it. Look on the bag of feed you buy and if it doesn't show the protein level, don't get it. I feed Purina Flock Raiser crumbles (20% protein). I don't feed layer ever as it's about 16% protein. But I do add a bowl of oyster shell so my gals can take what they need when they're laying. For a treat, I feed my girls "pudding". Kaytee baby bird food mixed with warm water and a few drops of poly vi sol baby vitamins without iron. They go crazy for it and it's 22% protein. I give them a bowl of that once or twice a week, but no more than that. It's good that you're looking out for your birds. Relax, enjoy them and try not to worry TOO much.

That's a huge amount of corn. It's already in the feed. Corn is low protein. I only give mixed scratch (wheat corn barley oats milo), not cracked corn, as a special treat in small amounts to tame birds.

Veggies are fine as they don't usually overeat them. Mealworms are a fine source of protien.

Babies need the balanced feed to grow best. If you know what you're doing it's possible to mix your own. Getting proper protein amounts is the hardest and most expensive part.

The tags on the feed bags tell you protein percentage.

Agreeing with sbhkma ... Not sure where you're located but I feed Flock Raiser (fermented) and have a dish on the side of Oyster Shells. I used to feed layer but find they do better (laying) with fermented FR.

Leave out the corn, barely any nutritional value & it's like "candy". I used to feed veggies & fruits regularly but stopped when I became concerned about their weight, learned too much will zero out what they need from their feed. Since I've stopped they've put on weight and looking alot better.

I feed Flockraiser to the silkies and babies, and Egg Producer (21%) to my layers.

Using warm water I'll soak feed sometimes and give it to them as a treat. They go nuts over it. Moreso than scratch

That's basically what FF is all about, soaking the feed over several days it ferments and nutritional beneficial as well as alot less poop, not so stinky & alot firmer. There's a great thread about in here, that's how I learned about it. Learned and learning alot from BYC Members :celebrate

I live in a very tiny house or I'd have a spot to do fermented feed. Everyone I know who does it has great results.

I have a lot of birds

Back
Top Bottom