Chickens eating feathers

BrandonMcfly

Songster
Aug 29, 2017
California
Hi I have two pet red sex link girl chickens Dylan & Kurt they are about 3 months old & just this week I noticed one of them ate a feather . They aren't pecking each other at all they get along real well & they aren't pecking feathers off its like when they lose feathers naturally & notice it on the floor they put it in their mouth & everytime I try to take it away they run & swallow it whole so I can't get it . They have plenty of food & water available at all times & they go outside during the day to run & have fun & inside the house to sleep at night so they have plenty of room as well. I read that it can be a lack of protein? Is that true ? What can I do to fix this? What can I give them? & do chickens lose feathers during winter they look fully feathered but every once in a while one or two will fall off
Thank you:(

Feathers provide nutrition, so it's okay, but, as previous post mentions, make sure their feed is adequate....

It only becomes a concern if they are filling up on feathers and if they begin pecking?..What do you feed?...
No they aren't filling up on them they don't do it continously it's only once in a while I've seen them other than that they will leave them alone , and they are not pecking at each other or themselves other than when they fluff their feathers , & i feed them quick grow chicken feed & cracked corn & mealworms & veggies or fruit but they don't like fruit so much they prefer the veggies

Back
Top Bottom