Chickens eating feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BrandonMcfly, Nov 17, 2017.

1. BrandonMcfly

BrandonMcfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2017
    California
    Hi I have two pet red sex link girl chickens Dylan & Kurt they are about 3 months old & just this week I noticed one of them ate a feather . They aren't pecking each other at all they get along real well & they aren't pecking feathers off its like when they lose feathers naturally & notice it on the floor they put it in their mouth & everytime I try to take it away they run & swallow it whole so I can't get it . They have plenty of food & water available at all times & they go outside during the day to run & have fun & inside the house to sleep at night so they have plenty of room as well. I read that it can be a lack of protein? Is that true ? What can I do to fix this? What can I give them? & do chickens lose feathers during winter they look fully feathered but every once in a while one or two will fall off
    Thank you:(

2. BrandonMcfly

Aug 29, 2017
    California
    I've only seen them do it a few times not many

3. It only becomes a concern if they are filling up on feathers and if they begin pecking?..What do you feed?...

BrandonMcfly likes this.
  4. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Feathers provide nutrition, so it's okay, but, as previous post mentions, make sure their feed is adequate....

BrandonMcfly likes this.
  5. BrandonMcfly

Aug 29, 2017
    California
    No they aren't filling up on them they don't do it continously it's only once in a while I've seen them other than that they will leave them alone , and they are not pecking at each other or themselves other than when they fluff their feathers , & i feed them quick grow chicken feed & cracked corn & mealworms & veggies or fruit but they don't like fruit so much they prefer the veggies

chickens really likes this.
  6. BrandonMcfly

Aug 29, 2017
    California
    OK thanks :) & yeah they have food & water at all times of day for whenever they want to eat or drink they're crops are always full

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Normal. Think of it as recycling protein.

BrandonMcfly and aart like this.
  8. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    What kind of feed are you talking about?

9. BrandonMcfly

Aug 29, 2017
    California
    Ok Thank you :)

10. BrandonMcfly

Aug 29, 2017
    California
    Quick grow chicken feed cracked corn veggies fruits & mealworms

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by