Chickens feet are red and wrinkled - HELP me please!! (PICS ADDED)

Stepping on the snow won’t make their feet cold (not enough to bother them). It’s just that many chickens are afraid of the snow... because they’re chickens. :p Some of mine go out, others don’t, but if the others can see the some, they eventually come out too.

But then why are their feet red and cold when I touch them? :hmm

Remember that first and foremost, chickens are birds. You see sparrows and bluejays and whatever hopping around on the snow all the time and don't think, Oh the poor things, their feet will get cold! Nature has designed them to cope. Their metabolisms are way different and faster than ours. They're active, pecking and scratching, kicking with those feet. They're designed to go barefoot. Like Hobbits! They're also dressed in thick down coats which warms their circulatory system. As long as they can stay dry and active like their wild cousins they should be fine.

Chickens are way tougher than us. They have thick leathery hobbit feet and snow doesn’t hurt them. If it did, they wouldn’t walk on it. Once the flock gets used to the snow, they willingly walk on it. If it melts and then snows again several weeks later, they’ll usually be afraid of it all over again.

I’ve always been told the redness was hormones. I’ve always seen it on my birds especially my roosters/cockerels.

Attachments

• E86A7746-8E9A-4F03-9B86-AF5BCDF2443B.png
    E86A7746-8E9A-4F03-9B86-AF5BCDF2443B.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 702BC8BC-2A91-4D85-B5BF-BC0BB3D66835.jpeg
    702BC8BC-2A91-4D85-B5BF-BC0BB3D66835.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 6
Remember that first and foremost, chickens are birds. You see sparrows and bluejays and whatever hopping around on the snow all the time and don't think, Oh the poor things, their feet will get cold! Nature has designed them to cope. Their metabolisms are way different and faster than ours. They're active, pecking and scratching, kicking with those feet. They're designed to go barefoot. Like Hobbits! They're also dressed in thick down coats which warms their circulatory system. As long as they can stay dry and active like their wild cousins they should be fine.
Agree with this wholeheartedly! It is hard to get used to seeing our birds out in the cold and the heat, or any other weather event that makes us uncomfortable...but then you look around and there are 100s of other birds, much smaller, surviving and thriving!

Thanks all. I'm not sure if I'll be able to buy hay or not. :idunno @CatWhisperer - I will check. CreamPuff's feet were looking a little red today. As I said, I will check on Kiwi.

We can get straw here for $3 a bale. I use lots in the coop, nesting boxes and in the run during winter to keep chicken feet out of endless mud. I throw it out and the chickens will spread it for me! They love to scratch through it looking for seeds. If you need something immediate, you can put an old pallet or two out there for them. They can get on it to get out of the snow if they want to. Just a thought. It does not snow here, I refused to move to a place that snows! Good Luck!:hugs

Mine are always afraid of the first snowfall... be cause they think the ramp and ground have disappeared or something. I don't know. If the snow is above chicken "knee" height I take the snow shovel out and clear paths to the food and water. Spread some scratch around and they quickly figure it out. If they want they go back in the straw bedded coop to hang out but most of them are out enjoying the warm sun.

Back
Top Bottom