Chickens feet are red and wrinkled - HELP me please!! (PICS ADDED)

@EggSighted4Life - LOL, that's funny! I think the last pic is just the lighting. I looked her feet over before the picture and yeah, that wasn't there. I'm pretty sure it's the lighting.
It is there very first winter. Period. I got them from TSC when they were 1 or 2 days old. So this MUST be their first winter. :p My coop is not big enough to keep them penned up in all day. As I said, I have six girls so...? I don't want to waste my money on things that will "disappear".... although I might be able to get some hay.

@aart - Yes, they can get under the coop. But I'm not sure if the dirt is frozen or not. I do know that there is no snow under there, though.

@Tortoise - Thanks!!!

I think you need to buy a bale of straw or hay, whichever is available in your area and toss it out in the run. My neighbor buys it in bulk because she has a lot of animals and pays about $3 per bale, but I have to buy mine at a farm store and pay about $10. It's $10 well spent!!!

It seems pretty dry.
Check when the temp is below freezing....if it's not frozen it's dry.
I shovel part of the run so there's always some snow free areas to walk around on, as well as the area under the coop. Adding more bedding isn't going to make shoveling any easier, tho I do spread a thin layer shavings or straw if it's icy.

Ugh, I was just out with them and I forgot to check Kiwi! :rolleyes: But, I put a jug of warm water in the run for them to lean on. I also changed their drinking water so it's warm again. The run is sort of shoveled but not down to the leaves, dirt, grass, etc. Just can't get that far. :hmm

I also gave them warm oatmeal, apple peels, and raisins. A big bowl of it all mixed together. I hope that will help warm up their insides. Anyway, what do you all think? Is there more I can do for them?

I'm planning on making a scrambled egg for them later. Maybe two eggs...

The run is sort of shoveled but not down to the leaves, dirt, grass, etc. Just can't get that far.
You don't have to get it all, just shovel/scrape off most of it.

I also gave them warm oatmeal, apple peels, and raisins. A big bowl of it all mixed together. I hope that will help warm up their insides. Anyway, what do you all think? Is there more I can do for them?
Don't give them warm food...they aren't humans....and the steam from the hot food can cause condensation on their face skin, or they step in it and get their feet wet.

They just need a good chicken ration and thawed water.

The first winter is hard, but do not overreact, they are tougher than you think.

Back
Top Bottom