Chickens have pox; better to integrate 4 week old guineas now or wait?

YonkFarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 10, 2009
Sutton, Nebraska
I have 29 chickens that are 16 weeks old and into their third week of fowl pox. So far, none of them have gotten the wet pox - they just have lesions in various stages on their combs and wattles. My sister gave me 4 guineas that are now 4 weeks old. She gave them to me before I realized we had the pox invasion. My plan was to put them in an enclosure inside the coop that would allow the chickens and guineas to see and get used to each other before putting them all together.

My dilemma is this: would it be better to get the guineas in the coop where they can start getting to know the chickens before they get any older or should I wait until the pox appear to be gone?

Since the pox are transmitted by mosquitos and the same mosquitos that infected the chickens could just as likely infect the guineas where I'm keeping them, would it make much difference if I just put them in the coop? At their age (4 weeks), is it more risky for them to get the pox? Again, I don't have a way to keep mosquitos from getting to them, so they could get the pox anyway even if they aren't put in the coop. I'm just wondering if the importance of getting them integrated into the flock outweighs the increased chance of them getting the pox.

Thanks for any input you can offer on this!

Was it a pretty mild case of pox that your turkeys had last year? It's encouraging that the others (who didn't get it last year) don't have it this year, right?

i am 99.99% sure guineas cant get fowl pox

mine never got it when i had a mild case run thru my chickens anyway and guineas are much more disease resistant then most birds.

Back
Top Bottom