Chickens haven't layed in months

katsalamon

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles county
Hi, we are in southern California and our chicken haven't laid in probably 3 months. part of that was due to stress being locked up for a month after a hawk landed on our fence and was in the area...they didn't like that. I now only let them out for about 3 hours a day now.
About when do they start laying again? None are molting and haven't been for a while.
We have 1- RIR
1- speckled Sussex
2- Barred Plymouth rock
1- Blue Andalusian
Thank you!

age could be a factor along with how you mentioned their lifestyle has changed dramatically
Sounds to me they aren't happy with their current situation that's my opinion/ experience

Light plays a role, and so does age. How old are they? Do they have plenty of light in the coop? If the coop is dark, you could add a window for some daylight.

They are 1 1/2 - 2. I have 2 windows in the coop and an area outside for them to go to. I know they are not happy. Lol. They were spoiled and out most of the day but were eating all my grass and destroyed most of our plant beds. My husband wanted me to keep them locked up all the time so we compromised. I guess time will tell! Thank you

So they were locked up in coop and run...and just not allowed to free range?
That shouldn't be a problem...if fed a good ration they should start laying again soon.

How big is this space, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics always help.

Here's some tips that might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-1-20_10-45-49.png

Thanks. I used to have an account but hadn't used it in about a year so I guess they cancelled it. Here's the coop. I cut out most of the door and added wire to add more air and light. On the other side of the coop there is a small run of about 3x4 feet too. Talked to my neighbor and his haven't laid in a while either. He was getting about 1 a week but that stopped a few weeks ago so it must be the time of year. Thanks!
IMG_20170226_164953907_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom