Chickens+Heat+Fans??

I'm in Pennsylvania and weatherbug tells me it is 99. I was using a box fan in the coop at night, but after reading these posts, I am going to move it out into the run today. Yesterday I put ice cubes in the water. Was that a good idea for my girls?

Linda

We're in Lynchburg VA and it's killer here also 100 now was 110 earlier. We have a box fan inside our coop that runs 24-7 but it still gets pretty toasty in there. The only time they are inside is to nest and sleep. Outside they have a small corner of their pen area shaded with clamatis which grows outside their fence.What i've been doing is hosing down the mulch in that corner .When the hose goes away they return to dig nest holes in the cool ground and park there throughout the day . From what I'm reading the better idea is to set up misters in their yard. We change their water every three hours but they are still miserable. Walmart had some good misters very reasonably priced a few years ago will check there. The nice thing is the water source is about 20' away so misters should work well .

I have a fan in the window of the coop, plus tarps up for added shade even tho we have planty of trees. My hubby actually suggested a swamp cooler for them today, I had to beg this man for 3 years to get chickens, now who is the softy, our heat is supposed to break Sunday. I did loose a roo today tho to the heat, he was kind of a food hog and was a fatty, my other roo is doing ok.

I use a box fan in much the same manner as you have there in your pic.

All ten chickens park them selves in front of it for most of the day.

They nap there for most of the afternoon.

Dave

I just ordered the Misty Mate Professional misting system for $25 from Wal Mart online. Hopefully it will arive within the week! I bought one several years ago at Sams Club for our dogs .We have it set up in their play yard .Spent the entire afternoon yesterday running around Lynchburg trying to find another one or any type of mister system .No luck. I tried Sams,both local Walmarts ,Dicks Sporting Goods , Lowes, even Petsmart who told me they had many requests for misters.Well duh why don't you carry them! Meanwhile I just put up sunscreen at coop and the tractor plus added electroylites to their water. I've heard of these swamp coolers what price are they? Anyone use them?

Is it ok if I have a fan for my 4 week old chicks still in the brooder! ( a large dog crate) they are in the garage.. I have the fan several feet away from crate.. just enough to cool the air around them...

Is it ok if I have a fan for my 4 week old chicks still in the brooder! ( a large dog crate) they are in the garage.. I have the fan several feet away from crate.. just enough to cool the air around them...
Set it up so they can get out of the flow of air if they want.
A fan will not really cool the air, just move it.

Back
Top Bottom