Chickens in the rain

kcruz

Chirping
May 7, 2021
Hi All, so I've moved my 6 week old hens i to their coop with covered run and they are doing great, going into coop at night etc.
However, when it storms and rains, they stay in the run instead of going into their coop. It can rain all day and they stay in the run. It's not cold outside, upper 70s, but they still get wet.
We used to fetch them out of the run and bring them into their old brooder with heat lamp but at some point I have to stop doing that and they need to figure things out on their own, right?
How harmful is it for fully feathered hens to get wet in warm temps? Should I still baby them or leave them to it? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210530_111550.jpg
    20210530_111550.jpg
    594.2 KB · Views: 32
Hi All, so I've moved my 6 week old hens i to their coop with covered run and they are doing great, going into coop at night etc.
However, when it storms and rains, they stay in the run instead of going into their coop. It can rain all day and they stay in the run. It's not cold outside, upper 70s, but they still get wet.
We used to fetch them out of the run and bring them into their old brooder with heat lamp but at some point I have to stop doing that and they need to figure things out on their own, right?
How harmful is it for fully feathered hens to get wet in warm temps? Should I still baby them or leave them to it? Thanks!

If they are fully-feathered and know that they *could* be in a dry place but *choose* to get wet it's unlikely that they'll do themselves any harm.

Chickens know how to be chickens better than we know how to be chickens. :)

If you put your hand into the damp feathers you'll probably find that they're dry and warm underneath the surface wetness.

How harmful is it for fully feathered hens to get wet in warm temps?
They should be fine...unless the rain is blowing in sideways and/or the run ground is flooding.

That coop may be to hot and stuffy inside for them to want to hang out there during the day.

FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Their adult feathers are water resistant, but not water proof like a duck. So just like a coat they can get a bit wet before soaking through!

Yours have a roofed run and could go inside the coop if they want, so sounds okay to me! My hens like darting around in the rain under the hedges and picnic table! 😄🐔 and then eventually sit it out in the covered run!

Of you want a bit more shelter, maybe put some potted plants outside the run to stop some of the horizontal rains from blowing in.

If it's okay for them to get a "little wet" because of their water resistant feathers, do I need to stress about rain potentially blowing into the coop during the summer? I can understand why this would be an issue in the winter, but my coop wouldn't be nearly as opened in the winter.

You wouldn't want the bedding to get wet because chicken poop plus water REEKS, but a little mistiness now and again isn't a major issue.

Generous roof overhangs are the best way to provide good ventilation while keeping rain out.

Back
Top Bottom