Chickens left face and comb is swollen

And I'm sor
I just noticed today that my chickens face and comb are swollen as well, both sides, but mine does not look like she feels well at all. Her comb and face are also becoming pale. She is out and about but definitely slow and keeping her distance from the other chickens. Not sure what is going on with her.
Im sorry your girl isnt doing too well, I hope she gets better soon!

In the pictures of the face, the left side of the beak looks a bit like the early signs of canker, a protozoan disease spread by pigeons. You may want to look inside the beak and mouth with a flashlight, since it can grow quickly, and sometimes can block the airway. Hopefully that is not the problem. Here is some reading about canker:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/canker
Cankerlesion2.jpg

Oral Canker

Canker is a condition mostly associated with pigeons and is caused by a tiny parasite called trichomonas. This parasite is often spread through contaminated drinking water. The parasite causes a ‘yellow button’ of pus to form in your bird’s mouth. This can stop your bird from eating normally leading to weight loss.

What to look for
  • Weight loss
  • Birds picking up food then dropping it
  • A cheese-like plaque in your birds mouth (see photo)
  • A reluctance to eat
Treatment
Treating canker or suspected canker is a job for a vet who will likely prescribe an anti-parasitic medication.

Prevention
Ensure that your birds' drinking water is changed daily. Try to keep the drinkers in the chicken house to discourage wild birds from sharing your birds’ water.

I started her on an antibiotic yesterday and she seems better today. Hoping for a full recovery!
Thanks for the info on canker! Never even heard of that before! Fortunately, my girl does not have signs of canker.

Ahh thank you we managed to catch little mandy and she had something in her cheek, she wasnt in pain and there was no infection so that is a relief. I slightly moved the lump and it fell away and only a few little bits that also fell out, once that had been moved! She went straight back to pecking away eating and drinking normally! Thank you kikisgirl for your help,
And also eggcessive for your post.
Glad your girl is better JD123
From tribalchicks

Back
Top Bottom