Chickens not allowed in Monroe- HELP!

FluffyColor

Crowing
12 Years
May 31, 2009
Queens, NY
After over a year of research, I found out you cannot keep chickens here unless you have 5 acres.
hit.gif
That doesn't add up when you do the math:

36 chickens x 3 square feet per chicken= 108 square feet

36 chickens x 5 square feet in run per chicken= 180 square feet

108+180=288 square feet

1/3 acres= 578 6/9 square feet

I need your help! If you post the word "support" in your post, you will be added to a list of "Chicken Enablers". If I get 150 Chicken Enablers (I have 104), I can take the list to the Town Hall, plus my math page, and that Uncle Sam poster (once I can print it!)
tongue.png

I need your support fast. Please help me.
bow.gif

EDIT:Wooo Hoo! I have enough siggys!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand how your math doesn't add up? Certainly there is plenty of room to keep a few chickens on a third of an acre. However, as of now your city does not allow it. I am sure the amount of recommended space to properly house chickens has nothing to do with their stance. Right now they do not consider chickens to be a proper residential use on non-agricultural property. What you need to do is convince them that urban and suburban chickens as pets and/or sustainable "green" permaculture is reasonable and should be allowed. By all means list the recommended amount of space to house chickens, and show that is it a small fraction of even a small lot. Don't forget to deduct the amount of space for the house, garage and other typical structures in showing how much space is available on the typical lot in your area.

Sonoran gave you good advice. Tell the town hall all the reason why chickens are beneficial. Google "why to keep chickens" and see if you can find a list somewhere (I'm pretty sure I read one somewhere) You can put me the sheet.
smile.png
I only live 45 minutes from you near Middletown and I know some people in Monroe that had to get rid of their chickens cause they moved there.
sad.png
Keep us posted!

One couple left because they couldn't keep chickens. And there's this child who was told she couldn't keep her chicks. Her parents are talking about moving, and she's saying "if we have to move, can we go to somewhere we can keep them?".

I absolutely SUPPORT you! Monroe is not exactly "big city", and even Seattle allows chickens! I think you should compile information from this post that supports how chickens are good in urban settings and approach the city council members. Heavens, with all of the animal facilities at the Evergreen State Fairgrounds and the area's obvious agricultural base, how can they have a "no chicken" policy!

I definitely support your desire to be able to keep your chickens, and I support that same right for all the other people of your community who would love to be able to keep chickens for their many benefits -- fresh eggs, insect control, and the many health benefits of having pets (proven by research to be beneficial). SUPPORT!!

Back
Top Bottom