Chickens not eating much.

Erikdaviking

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2020
Arlee, MT
It’s my first winter with the chickens, I have 9 pullets and a rooster...they are still laying pretty well, I’m getting 3-5 eggs a day without artificial light. It’s been a mild winter here in Montana, minimal snow and warmer than usual. It’s still been cold, so I’ve been giving them about two cups of scratch grains for extra energy to stay warm...I scatter that in the chicken yard and they peck at it all day.

They have really slowed down on their regular food (layer crumbles), probably eating 50-60% of what they did in the summer.

They all are really healthy and look good, except the two that are molting. 😂 They look molty. 😂😂

My question is are they just filling up on the grain, and if so is that going to be bad for them? They will eat if they are hungry, right? Should I watch for anything in particular?

Thanks!

That is a lot of scratch for the number of chickens. I'd cut back on it so they go back to their regular feed.

You may want to reconsider feeding them layer as well, since you have a rooster - he cannot utilize the extra calcium in layer feed and there's a possibility it could affect his kidneys in the long run.

@rosemarythyme also makes a good point. When you have a mixed flock of layers and non-layers, it's a good idea to feed something like all-flock, with oyster shell on the side. The layers will help themselves to the calcium they need.

Back
Top Bottom