Chickens not laying eggs

Freedom Acres

Chirping
Apr 17, 2015
Hello!
We have about 25, 1 1/2 year old chickens (Easter Eggers and Sexlinks) that have laid pretty well this year, but after molting (about 2 months ago) they haven't laid a single egg. I don't think it's a feed issue because they are in a moveable coop and electric fence and getting plenty of grass as well as a normal amount of non-gmo layer pellets. We have tried upping their feed along with deworming them naturally, but no change. We thought it could be the weather change, since it's almost winter, but all our neighbors are getting eggs...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello!
We have about 25, 1 1/2 year old chickens (Easter Eggers and Sexlinks) that have laid pretty well this year, but after molting (about 2 months ago) they haven't laid a single egg. I don't think it's a feed issue because they are in a moveable coop and electric fence and getting plenty of grass as well as a normal amount of non-gmo layer pellets. We have tried upping their feed along with deworming them naturally, but no change. We thought it could be the weather change, since it's almost winter, but all our neighbors are getting eggs...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I think it could be the winter, I have a bunch of hens and am getting 0 eggs. However, they are getting fairly old, their egg rate will definitely go down.

Other people should respond soon, and they will have more input. ;)

None of them have artificial light and they get their feed from the same place we do. I've never thought about using grower for extra protein! I'll have to see if that will help at all. Do you just feed that during the winter and then go back to regular for the rest of the year?

I think it could be the winter, I have a bunch of hens and am getting 0 eggs. However, they are getting fairly old, their egg rate will definitely go down.

Other people should respond soon, and they will have more input. ;)

I could be the winter. Thanks!

My guess would be that your neighbours have some younger birds. It is perfectly normal for hens not to start back up laying until after the winter solstice. I have 18 and have not had any eggs for weeks from the last one to moult but some started dropping feathers 2-3months ago. I am starting to see some of their combs pinking up a little now but I think it will probably be another couple of weeks at least before they start up again and some may wait until Feb/March.

None of them have artificial light and they get their feed from the same place we do. I've never thought about using grower for extra protein! I'll have to see if that will help at all. Do you just feed that during the winter and then go back to regular for the rest of the year?
I have a better hatch rate when I feed grower, so I started feeding it yr around...one less type of feed to stock..

I have a better hatch rate when I feed grower, so I started feeding it yr around...one less type of feed to stock..

Ok, thank you! I have a source for Non-Gmo grower feed, so I think I'll try that through the Winter at least.

My guess would be that your neighbours have some younger birds. It is perfectly normal for hens not to start back up laying until after the winter solstice. I have 18 and have not had any eggs for weeks from the last one to moult but some started dropping feathers 2-3months ago. I am starting to see some of their combs pinking up a little now but I think it will probably be another couple of weeks at least before they start up again and some may wait until Feb/March.

That's very helpful info. Thank you! How long do you think molt usually takes? I have heard varied opinions on it and really don't know what to expect.

Back
Top Bottom