Chickens sleeping on floor

CommunistEgg

Chirping
Jul 6, 2020
About two weeks ago we fully integrated five legbars into our small flock and they mostly have been sleeping on the floor of the coop. The last few days a few have found their way up but now one of our red sex links has made her way DOWN! there's some tweaks to be made to our coop but I'm curious if there's anything we can do to encourage everyone onto the roosts? We've had to block off the nest boxes to keep the floor sleepers out and that's a pain in my butt, usually resulting in an egg being laid in the middle of the coop before I can get out in the morning

Attachments

• IMG_20200920_211400045.jpg
    IMG_20200920_211400045.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 47
From a quick glance at your coop setup, I see a roost area, that is limited in length. (on right of pix for all the chickens). The other roost possibilities, are too close to the wall for chicken comfort. I do see some of your chickens up there, but they are on there sideways. Not a very comfortable roost sitting option.
If you had small Banties like I have, they would fit on those roosts close to the wall.
Chickens sit 90 Degrees to the roost bar for best comfortable sitting. They do like to grab the bar/board/branch with their claws.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Ever constant tweaking is going on over here! The roosts as they are now are 1 foot away from the walls. Do you have a suggestion on how far from the wall they should be? We're also going to flip the boards to the broad side eventually. They weren't all huddled in the corner until I had to shoo one legbar out of the nest box and spooked all of them 😄

I like to place roost a little further than 1 foot away from wall. If you have the space, aim for 16 inches. Here is my thinking on that distance. If the roost is close to wall, chicken does not consider sitting there, since if she jumps up there, her beak will be against the wall. This is before she even decides to have tail to wall.
The positioning of board. flat or vertical is discussed on a few threads here. There is views on both sides . Some peeps want it flat, and others want it vertical. I personally don't think it is so important ether way. I use natural tree branches in my coop, and never had any bad issues with them. I do see my hens gripping these branches with their claws. They do cover their toes successfully with their fluffed feathers during cold. Only thing I think as important, is,,,,,,,, there be no sharp corners, or edges. I like rounded edges best. You can simply cut strips of old carpeting, and fold over top and staple, so the surface is soft to feet, and with plenty of grip.
For some reason, still puzzling me, I don't know why any would choose to sleep in a nest box, especially since it is at floor level. Only thinking, is chicken trying to avoid being bullied by the others. PECKING ORDER IS PRESENT IN ALL FLOCKS.
Maybe that is reason the rest prefer staying on the floor. :idunno
Eventually all these issues shake out, :thumbsup

About two weeks ago we fully integrated five legbars into our small flock and they mostly have been sleeping on the floor of the coop. The last few days a few have found their way up but now one of our red sex links has made her way DOWN! there's some tweaks to be made to our coop but I'm curious if there's anything we can do to encourage everyone onto the roosts? We've had to block off the nest boxes to keep the floor sleepers out and that's a pain in my butt, usually resulting in an egg being laid in the middle of the coop before I can get out in the morning
My girls aren’t laying yet. They are 20 weeks and I have noticed that since they are so nosy that when I go into really spruce up the coop not just clean the roost and poop boards which I do daily but about once or twice a week I go in and really fluff up the shavings and turn them over and make sure there are no creature features hiding in the coop as unwanted guests and if they need some fresh shavings added etc., then I add that too then add PDZ, to my daily fresh coop water and I will tidy things up that have been scattered about if needed. So my nosy hens always go in and fiddle fart around to see what I have done and peck around more when it is still light out at the fresh PDZ. Sometimes they get caught too long doing this after sunset and can’t see well enough for the bigger girls - my Orpingtons who are the watch dogs of the flock and one of my piglets of the Legbars who likes to always go into roost last at night. They are either last on the pecking order also and that in addition to their eating and watch dog duties. So they end up roosting on the lower but clean poop boards on the spruce days if I am not like Motel 6 and don’t leave the battery operated cabinet light for them we have in the coop a little bit before dark. Last week I ended up putting three sleeping Orpingtons and one sleeping Legbar onto the roost board from the poop board so they wouldn’t get pooped on because they were sleeping under the other girls who were sleeping above them in their favorite corner. They are nosy hoots. I tell ya! Entertainment tonight! Lol!

I am not like Motel 6 and don’t leave the battery operated cabinet light for them we have in the coop a little bit before dark. Last week I ended up putting three sleeping Orpingtons and one sleeping Legbar onto the roost board
Good point, I haven't considered the poorly lit coop possibility. Especially since days get shorter by much each day this time of year.

Good point, I haven't considered the poorly lit coop possibility. Especially since days get shorter by much each day this time of year.
Exactly. It seems like they are getting shorter by a more noticeable difference than they really are in minutes on the clock actually according to the daily weather calendar of when the sun is going to rise and set. I find myself looking at that piece of information a great deal more now since I have a flock of new chickens more than I ever have in my entire life.

We've had to block off the nest boxes to keep the floor sleepers out and that's a pain in my butt, usually resulting in an egg being laid in the middle of the coop before I can get out in the morning

Remove the nest covers once it's completely dark and everyone's settled for the night. They shouldn't crawl in, but higher lip on boxes may help prevent that.

Back
Top Bottom