Chickens Sleeping Outside at Night

Hello all, my hens have resorted to sleeping outside on their perch instead of inside their coop. I am kind of worried, as I live in a more rural area, and coyotes are plentiful. I have seen them walk along our fence, and as a chicken owner, that's pretty scary, knowing that predators are nearby. I have tried placing them one by one back inside their coop, but they walk right back out! Not to mention, even when it rains they stay outside....and get drenched! Could they get sick? I keep their coop clean with fresh pine shavings, and I keep all spiders out! Is this normal behavior?
I'm a new chicken mom. My chickens sleep outside of their coop, in the secure run, on a roost. They've never shown any interest in going inside at night...?

I'm a new chicken mom. My chickens sleep outside of their coop, in the secure run, on a roost. They've never shown any interest in going inside at night...?

Welcome to BYC.

If your run is designed to be predator-proof and the roost is adequately sheltered it's not a problem -- except that it may point to other possible issues in the coop. :)

Photos of your set up would help with assessing.

As a general rule you want 1 sq ft of ventilation per standard hen. In a hot climate such as yours, adding even more would be ideal.
Here's the entrance of the coop....The door stays open:

Attachments

• DSCN9296.JPG
    DSCN9296.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 36
I don't think this is enough ventilation. I don't know how or where to add any more. They have been sleeping outside on and off for awhile now, and there doesn't seem to be a problem. Any suggestions?

Not if you're satisfied with them being in the run in all the weather and seasons you experience. (Putting your location in your profile is helpful because climate matters).

My new Open Air coop build is essentially a roofed run with a windbreak at one end because I live in a hot climate.
We live in SW Arizona. Their run provides plenty of shade. I give them a fan during the day in the summer and had a heat lamp during the winter.

Back
Top Bottom