Chickens Sleeping Outside at Night

Thank you! I've never trained them to go in their coop at night, I've just always let them sleep outside on the roost. Do I need to train them?

Not if you're satisfied with them being in the run in all the weather and seasons you experience. (Putting your location in your profile is helpful because climate matters).

My new Open Air coop build is essentially a roofed run with a windbreak at one end because I live in a hot climate.

Also I would try in printing them again. ( Keep them locked up in the coop for a week then let them out.) they may go back in to there house bc they know it’s where they sleep. Also if you don’t have a roost inside you should get one chickens like being off the ground they feel safe and secure when they are in a roost.

We live in SW Arizona. Their run provides plenty of shade. I give them a fan during the day in the summer and had a heat lamp during the winter.

So that's essentially an open-air coop and they like it.

The heat lamp isn't necessary for fully-feathered, adult chickens unless you get extended periods of below-zero temperatures. :)

But it is weird they are choosing to sleep in their run perches rather than their dark coup perches. I dont think it's too hot in their inside coup.

If it's too stuffy, too dark, too hot, they will not want to use the coop.

Have you taken an actual temperature measurement inside the coop vs outside?

Can they clearly see inside the coop at dusk when light is low?

Back
Top Bottom