Chickens so jumpy

Chicken Egg 17

Songster
Dec 11, 2015
McVeytown PA
I have a flock of chickens and looking for some new hens to add to the flock but I was wondering why my chickens are so jumpy and won't even let you near them and when you do catch one they act like your killing them how can I calm them down and let me near them and be able to pick them up. Thanks

There may be a few factors in play.. Number 1.. The breed.. Number 2,, The way they were raised and not handled as they were growing.Give us an Idea of the chicken breeds that you have and someone here may have some answers.. If you can,,, post some pix.. You know a picture is worth a 1000 words.. WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

Maybe they need a downer like darvon or possibly percocet?

Maybe they saw a coyote or something?

If you have any pain pills, and don't wish to use them, please send them to me.
big_smile.png

My birds weren't hand raised, and will hardly even let me touch them.

If you have any pain pills, and don't wish to use them, please send them to me.
big_smile.png

Is it because they see you soo often near those large WEBER GRILLS
gig.gif
lau.gif
somad.gif

If you have any pain pills, and don't wish to use them, please send them to me.:D

No they are like that all the time the closest I can get to them is about a foot away and then they start to back away from me but could it be that I have a rooster and he is just protecting them

No they are like that all the time the closest I can get to them is about a foot away and then they start to back away from me but could it be that I have a rooster and he is just protecting them
Unless handled daily from hatch, most chickens don't want or like to be handled and it's normal for them to stay away from you. Some get a little less weary with age, and the smarter ones learn you bring food and will come running. Most of my birds under two years will run hysterically away from me, I prefer it to being jumped on or pecked, or being followed everywhere, I have dogs for that.

Well my Rhode Island Red was not handled for a chick I only had her since she was 4 months old and she loves me honestly if my whole flock of chickens got killed I would probably make her a house chicken and just keep her in my room because one of my sisters dog would probably kill her

I got 7 Rhode Island reds and they all love to be either pet or picked up so does 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Wyandottes & 2 Black copper Marans. Now my Blue Marans, 1 Barred Rock, and 2 other Silver Wyandottes and 1 leghorns doesn't want to do anything with me except greet me @thedoor for treats then take off. They were all handled since babies but they all have their own personalities. And by the way I used Percocet on all of them
1f61d.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom