Chickens vs. Cats

Lolachick07

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Oklahoma
A few days ago, I noticed one of our stray cats we feed stalking a chicken of mine. When I came over to scare the cat off though, another hen started squaking and all three hens chased the cat off themselves! Has anyone else had an event like this happen with their chickens?

My pullets chase off rabbits all the time. My cat is too lazy to even try to go after the chickens. They always come up to her and inspect her and she either just lays there or she gets up and moves. :)

I had a GLW attacked by a stray. She ended up dying in my arms of fright mostly I think.
rant.gif
Needless to say, the stray has never been seen again either.

So sorry
sad.png
That's what I'm always worrying about with my hens and those cats, but nothing bad has happened SO far... and I hope it never will
fl.gif

I have 6 cats and 4 dogs. All of the cats give all chickens a wide berth and the 85 pound alpha dog has also learned his place.
I've told the story before, but it still makes me laugh. The rooster and large above mentioned dog faced off. I separated them and walked away from the rooster with the dog. The rooster ran up behind the dog, bit him on the butt and ran away. Roosters rule.

My tiny Delaware Grace went after one of my cats on her first day outside, and she tripped coming back, thus the name, grace. The second time she went after it though, she pecked him one square on the nose. The cat fluffed up and stalked away...

I have 6 cats and 4 dogs. All of the cats give all chickens a wide berth and the 85 pound alpha dog has also learned his place.
I've told the story before, but it still makes me laugh. The rooster and large above mentioned dog faced off. I separated them and walked away from the rooster with the dog. The rooster ran up behind the dog, bit him on the butt and ran away. Roosters rule.
lau.gif
Funny how chickens can be so... not "chicken" sometimes. If I didn't have them, I'd never know they could be so brave!

We have three indoor/outdoor cats and the chickens know the difference between them. Two of the cats like to walk past making eyes at them, and the chickens get all tall and clucky and make eyes right back. The third cat likes to lay in the flower beds and watch the chickens, and the chickens pay him no mind at all...they dig right around him and peck at his tail and he just lays there with squinty happy eyes like being a doormat for chickens in his calling in life.

Back
Top Bottom