Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Your dog anticipates your release.

It probably depends on the dog, and how much you have worked on what commands.

When I had a Labrador Retriever, she was really good at staying.

I had a few cases early on when she thought her name was a release, but I changed my behavior a little bit and she got the point quite quickly.

If she was staying, I would say her name, wait to be sure she was paying attention but not moving, and THEN say OK or Come or whatever command I intended to give. Sometimes I just praised her (for the fact that she was looking at me but not breaking her stay), and let her keep staying for a while longer.

I have no idea how well it would work with other dogs, because that particular lab seemed pretty easy to train.

It probably depends on the dog, and how much you have worked on what commands.

When I had a Labrador Retriever, she was really good at staying.

I had a few cases early on when she thought her name was a release, but I changed my behavior a little bit and she got the point quite quickly.

If she was staying, I would say her name, wait to be sure she was paying attention but not moving, and THEN say OK or Come or whatever command I intended to give. Sometimes I just praised her (for the fact that she was looking at me but not breaking her stay), and let her keep staying for a while longer.

I have no idea how well it would work with other dogs, because that particular lab seemed pretty easy to train.

Yeah,

It CAN be reversed but it saves so much trouble to not start the habit in the first place

and like you said, it depends on the dog as well

IF you do decide to do competition obedience, change that down thing ASAP!

Just teach a release word then... I use ok for everything LOL
idk if I want to, but he can't even do a down from a sit unless I'm tapping on the floor
is it better to restart from a stand, or get it so that he can do it from sit when I just point at the ground instead of bending down, then change it to from a stand

idk if I want to, but he can't even do a down from a sit unless I'm tapping on the floor
is it better to restart from a stand, or get it so that he can do it from sit when I just point at the ground instead of bending down, then change it to from a stand

the down should be seperate from the sit, so just lure him down from a standing position. Kind of like how you would start for the bow trick, but with his booty on the ground too.

Back
Top Bottom