Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

A family member just had her chihuahua die at age 18. My oldest dog was 16 (black lab-boxer mix) when she had a stroke and had to be put down. My oldest dog right now just turned 11 a few days ago, he’s a little havaneese. He may be old but he still seems to have a lot going for him. Your guy sounds like he’s had a great long life so far <3

1D9855FF-4E97-41A1-B50C-C7C59072285F.jpeg

FEF03F53-3A9D-4A9B-85AB-47BF9C031D88.jpeg

:th

There is no such thing as a farm collie. We don’t have 2 separate lines in AKC. If someone is marketing a dog as a farm collie run the other way. Border collies are different.
@Cecisflock I was just reviewing this thread and feel I should clarify. I didn't mean to imply that there are 2 lines of AKC Collies, as there are multiple types of Border Collies.

In many parts of the US, there still exists what are often referred to as "Farm Collies." These are the descendants of the original English herding dogs that were brought to America early on, long before the AKC was founded. Some were refined into the Australian Shepherd (which, in spite of its name is an American breed), others are now called English Shepherds, but many are still just referred to as Farm Collies.

http://www.farmcollie.org

In any case, these dogs have a very different temperament than our AKC collies, and I found that especially here on BYC, where many people are rural, that they have "collies" with behaviors that seem odd to those of us used to AKC collies, only to find out that they are in fact not AKC collies at all.

Back
Top Bottom