Chicks and fresh greens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cbear25, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Cbear25

Cbear25 Hatching

Mar 20, 2018
    Indiana
    How soon should I start giving my chick greens like fresh herb leftovers and grass? My chickens free range most of the year (they have a covered run for winter) and I’d like her to have fresh things to scratch in. Currently she’s eating medicated chick feed and electrolyte water. I don’t want to rush things. I just got her today.

2. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Songster

Oct 13, 2008
    Chicks can eat green food as soon as they have an appetite for it. Make sure you do the research to make sure you only offer things that are safe/palatable (Many “herbs” are useless/dangerous as fodder and “grasses” vary greatly, many being too tough for young chicks to actually eat and a few being poisonous.) lettuce, chard, and tender kale leaves are good examples.

also noted: you appear to be referring to only a single chick? One should never attempt to keep a chicken of any age alone, as it is basically inhumane—they are extremely gregarious animals and require the company of other chickens to be content, healthy, and well-adjusted.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  3. Cbear25

Cbear25 Hatching

Mar 20, 2018
    Indiana
    Listen I’ve already had the line chick talk. I can only have one more chicken and also please hop down off your high horse.

Tom Kowalsky likes this.
  4. Tom Kowalsky

Tom Kowalsky In the Brooder

Aug 30, 2017
    Try planting some seeds in a dish- they love to eat the sprouts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: