Chicks aren't supposed to do this! Speckled sussex tricks

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My chicks are 3 1/2 weeks old. Most of them don't stay in the brooder all day anymore, preferring instead to run around on the screened porch. The porch is an absoute mess at this point. May have to buy DH a larger powerwasher by the time it's all said and done.
barnie.gif

Anyhow, all the chicks have learned to come running when I walk out on the porch, some even jumping out of the brooder to do it. That's not the problem. I expected they would come to recognize the bringer of treats. It's the speckled sussex chicks, two of em.

I just went out there and both of the SS flew, I mean FLEW from the edge of the brooder and landed right at my feet! They are not supposed to fly at their age and certainly not with such accuracy.

Are all speckled sussex such accomplished flyers? This may be a problem when they move out to the coop. I can't have them flying into the yard and into the mouths of our two german shepherds.

Last edited:
My chicks are a little over 2 weeks and have been flying for a couple of days now. I've had a few escapees form the brooder who I had to have a massive "manhunt" for!

Only one of my 6 wk old Speckled Sussex is able to fly to the top of the brooder. The Welsummer and EE have been flying up for a couple of weeks. Of my younger chicks (3 wks), 2 of the Brabanters can fly to the top of the brooder. The younger EE can get up there if she uses the waterer as a step.

Surprisingly, they mostly just fly to the edge & look around, and then go back in their brooders. I was worried that they would be all over the garage workshop, making a mess. The older ones fly over to the edge of the younger ones brooder & look inside, but don't show any interest in getting down in there.

Okay, so the speckled sussex will be getting a wing clipping once they move to the coop. Thanks.

BTW, it was the EEs that started the mass exodus from the brooder. Everyone else just followed their lead. Most of them however prefer to just jump up to the side of the brooder and then jump down on the other side and run around. It's only the SS that fly everywhere they want to go.

Be sure to only clip one side - I made the mistake of clipping both sides which inhibited their flying but not enough to keep em from flying out! One side means lopsided flight and makes it harder.
Caroline

Either clip their wings, put a roof on the chicken run or train the dogs. On a good note, GSD's are about the smartest dogs on the planet and can easily learn the "mine" command.

mine like to fly when we go outside their almost a week old now and are getting bigger lol. one of the EE's likes to sit ontop of the chicken wire. the other day one of my australorps decided to fly the coop(brooder) and i heard this loud cheaping so we had to for the time being put chicken wire over the top if not ill have chickies all over my kitchen hehehehee

Back
Top Bottom