Chicks Behavior/ Newbie

birdlady79

Songster
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
West Tennessee
Hi there,Im fairly new on here and new to raising chickens. I've been doing a lot of reading and have a few questions. Im getting 6 chicks, all pullets. I got my first 2, two days ago and they seem to be healthy and doing great. I got 1 BO and 1 EE.....These are the ones Im getting next week... 1 BA, 1 BR, 1 GLW, and 1 Welsummer. Take in mind I've never had chicks before!! Are they always skittish and hard to pick up? The BO is a lot easier than the EE...I've read where EE's are usually sweet. I know all have diff personalities but this one seems sassy!! She is already trying to fly and when i pick her up she crawls all over me trying to escape. The local feed store said they are getting Amerucans in next week, Im thinking about getting one of those and getting rid of the EE.....If they are true Ameraucanas and not EE's....... I can only have 6, so would you wait and see how she turns out or try to re home and go with the Ameraucana? Also is this typical beahvior for chicks? They were eating out of my hands, now they seem scared too. Thank you!!

Hi there,Im fairly new on here and new to raising chickens. I've been doing a lot of reading and have a few questions. Im getting 6 chicks, all pullets. I got my first 2, two days ago and they seem to be healthy and doing great. I got 1 BO and 1 EE.....These are the ones Im getting next week... 1 BA, 1 BR, 1 GLW, and 1 Welsummer. Take in mind I've never had chicks before!! Are they always skittish and hard to pick up? The BO is a lot easier than the EE...I've read where EE's are usually sweet. I know all have diff personalities but this one seems sassy!! She is already trying to fly and when i pick her up she crawls all over me trying to escape. The local feed store said they are getting Amerucans in next week, Im thinking about getting one of those and getting rid of the EE.....If they are true Ameraucanas and not EE's....... I can only have 6, so would you wait and see how she turns out or try to re home and go with the Ameraucana? Also is this typical beahvior for chicks? They were eating out of my hands, now they seem scared too. Thank you!!
Anything from the feed store marked as Ameraucana are really EEs.

I have never had an EE that is not skittish.. They are friendly for 48 hours and go through a fearful stage. If you are with them from the time they hatch and continue to put your hand in and pick them up, they will adapt easier to human contact.

It is normal behaviour.

I was thinking that the Ameraucans would prob be actual EE.... I'll just keep picking them up... Guess she just makes me a little nervous,lol, reminds me of a sparrow!! Thank you for advise :)

I was thinking that the Ameraucans would prob be actual EE.... I'll just keep picking them up... Guess she just makes me a little nervous,lol, reminds me of a sparrow!! Thank you for advise
smile.png
I call my EEs screamers. They are SO loud when I pick them up as adults.

You want friendly girls? Try a red sex link. FRIENDLIEST ever. SOOO sweet.

Yes I'm wanting friendly girls, since I'm new to this, they make me a little nervous when they flap their wings and scream... Lol.. Thank you for advise.

Back
Top Bottom