Chicks being pecked to death!

Quote:
hi McCabe, your post is so easy to read - it is clear and flows well. I just wanted to say that.

I was touched by your description of the couple who have the Clydesdales, this is where real caring happens. It is beyond the providing of food, water, and shelter. It is observing, caring, and respect for whatever sort of animal life you have taken responsibility for. Kudos to them, and kudos to you for being aware enough to understand what they were doing.

As for the OP's chicks, I also had the feeling that the chicks were not so much attacked but just a casualty of the battle between the hens. Then, once something is downed in a chicken run it is fair game for pecking.

We are farm-sitting for friends who have 2 broody bantams in the bottom of a 2 level-cage with the bantam roo on the top. They were sitting on 14 eggs and of course, the eggs started hatching while our friends were away. At their request, we check for chicks twice a day and take the chicks (if they are dry, have absorbed the yolk, and are starting to move around) home to put in our brooder, under my Ecoglow with chick starter and water. They are doing great - eating, drinking, peeping, pooping, growing, etc. and I know that they are safe. I mention this because I have seen the Roo peck at the newly hatched chicks and am afraid that they are going to get hurt. So far we have 5 chicks (1, 2, and 5 days old) in the brooder.

86138_img_4934.jpg

86138_img_4895.jpg

UPDATE!!!

I got home from work and the egg that was pipped this morning was just unzipping! I got to watch the whole thing and take pictures!
wee.gif

The chick is doing fine so far, and the second egg is pipped!
jumpy.gif

I am late to dinner with family so I will have to post pictures in the morning! Thanks again everyone and hope you all have a wonderful evening!!!
yippiechickie.gif

~Melissa

Quote:
They are Quail D'Anver bantams. They are growing so fast and it's so cute how they accept any newly hatched chicks that I put in there with them. The females huddle around the chick to warm it up and Gazpacho (suspected roo) stands guard at the entrance to the EcoGlow chick brooder. He seems to have decided that the others are part of his "flock".

Good morning, everyone!

The second chick hatched last night, and both babies are doing great!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
I have them in a brooder on our screened in porch so I can raise them to be really tame.
smile.png

Here are some pictures of the first one hatching yesterday and the two of them in their brooder this morning:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Again, thank you sooooo much!

~Melissa

Back
Top Bottom