Chicks don't like food?

Chickchix

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 7, 2008
We're new at this, and just got our chicks yesterday. Brooder, temp, water are all fine, and chicks seems healthy: peeping sometimes, sleeping sometimes, drinking, DEFINITELY pooping
jumpy.gif
, but it seems they pick up the food and fling it, not sure they're actually eating it. We tried making a mash of it, but they didn't like that either. The food is DuMore chick starter/grower 20& (from Tractor Supply). Any thoughts??
Thanks!

If they are pooping, they are eating. I think the flinging you are seeing is part of their natural desire to peck though the food for the absolute best tiny piece at the bottom.
roll.png

It only gets worse. Sounds like they are doing great! As time goes on, you'll want to raise the feeder so that they don't "bill" all the feed out as they will.

I have used that food for many years and never had a problem with it. I would just watch the food level and see if it's going down. Other than that the only thing I can think of is to check and see if the temp is high enough. If they are too cold they won't eat as readily.

Hi Alisa-
Don't worry, they're probably fine. Feel their little crops, (right breast area)... there should be a little bulging soft bump there... check them fter they've been hanging out near the feeder!
It tough not to worry about the little fragile things, though, huh? Have you heard them do the trilling happy sound? Here's something else cute: Make a low,soft "brrrrrrr" sort of trill with your tongue against the roof of your mouth and watch them all freeze and fall silent! I gather its mama hen's warning sound. Too cute!
Stacey
P.S. Little loudmough RIR is calming down some. She is totally quiet when I am near the brooder; and if she can see me (usually) but crys when I leave the room. What a baby!

Awwww I hope your little ones get over their pickiness! I have that same brand waiting for my chicks who will be here tomorrow. The replies from the experienced crew makes me feel a little better, I hope they ease your mind too.
I read a post the other day talking about just how much this little ones can eat. Another member had 5 chicks- the same as what I will have and hers had went through 5o lbs of feed in their first 5 weeks! I'm sure it won't be long before you are having to refill their feeder and you will know for sure your babies are eating.

Thanks everyone, I feel so much better!

My kids made a playpen for the chickies, and they crack us up. If I tap on the floor, one in particular ("Freebie") comes bolting over top speed! She's the one I thought wasn't really eating, so I suppose all is well. Now, if I can just get my kids to tear themselves away from the brooder...

Seachick, I'm so glad your RIR is calming down! ('
fl.gif
', '');Would it be bad to rename her Crybaby??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom