Chicks dont wanna go to bed?

May 22, 2019
Okanagan Valley
So it gets dark here late right now like 10pm, and we live on a mountain with pleanty of dusk predators so I've been putting the chickens (7weeks today) to bed in thier coop around 8/830 with food and fresh water... the last 2 nights they have been super squacky and literally throwing themselves at the door trying to get out. Are they always going to do this? Should I be looking for ways to prevent injury? They are acting as if in distress but looking through the window I can tell they are all fine. Just dont wanna go to bed.

I agree about checking out the coop first. I sympathize about 10 pm sunsets. If you don’t find anything amiss in the coop I would suggest giving them food earlier before you lock them up, 7:45 or so. This would be a good time to give them something really yummy like scrambled eggs. Once they fill their crops they will probably settle. Good luck!

Is there enough ventilation. What is the temperature in the coop. Pictures of your setup might help? Maybe a rat or snake in there or bully older chicken. I’ve never had this happen I would suspect something is not right in the coop.

No nothing in the coop, it's our first group of chickens all together since day old, temp is about 20-25c, living in a desert in the summer not much way to cool it anymore without blocking off ventilation more.

Also they are sleeping a bunch un the day, I figured the heat... the cat and dog also are laying around. But wondering if because of daytime sleeping maybe they are finally wanting to run around at 8/9 at night as it starts to cool...I know the dog does. I'll try feeding them earlier and maybe keeping them out a bit longer.

Also they are sleeping a bunch un the day, I figured the heat... the cat and dog also are laying around. But wondering if because of daytime sleeping maybe they are finally wanting to run around at 8/9 at night as it starts to cool...I know the dog does. I'll try feeding them earlier and maybe keeping them out a bit longer.

This could very well be what’s going on. Good luck!

Nothing is wrong but temper tantrums. They will get over it.

not much way to cool it anymore without blocking off ventilation more.
That is confusing me. Blocking ventilation makes it hotter. Adding ventilation and shade trees would make it cooler. Though 20-25 sounds plenty cool.

Back
Top Bottom