Chicks droppings is really watery

Raysal

Songster
Sep 2, 2020
Dallas TX
My chiks droppings are really watery and sneezing but they look great they eat and drink and run around. Anyone know why. Here are some pictures. There is no sign of blood in the droppings.
20201030_084734.jpg

20201030_084821.jpg

20201030_084922.jpg

How old are the chicks?

Have you just move them to new quarters?

How often are they sneezing? Occasionally or all the time?

Are any butts pasted up and soiled?

What are you feeding?

Heat source? How warm?

Type of bedding?

Number of chicks and size of brooder?

Please answer all these questions. This information is critical to helping you.

How hot is it where you are? I live in a tropical climate (always hot); I've found that when hot, chicks/chickens drink more and poop looks like that during the hottest part of the year. If they're under heat (brooding), then I recommend reducing the temperature of their brooder.

Chicken's don't have sweat glands, and so they don't perspire in the way humans do. They consume more liquids and poop them out, along with excess body heat.

If heat is playing a factor with your birds, then now is an excellent time to add electrolytes and chicken vitamins to the water to ensure they're not pooping out the good stuff with the excess water.

The poop looks pretty normal to me, but then... as I said earlier, I live in the tropics... that's what my birds' poop looks like most of the year.

How old are the chicks?

Have you just move them to new quarters?

How often are they sneezing? Occasionally or all the time?

Are any butts pasted up and soiled?

What are you feeding?

Heat source? How warm?

Type of bedding?

Number of chicks and size of brooder?

Please answer all these questions. This information is critical to helping you.
3 Weeks
Yes 1 week ago into a bigger brooder
I hear them sneezing every once in a while not constant but i do hear them alot
No pasty butt
Chick feed
Have the heat lamp on one side if they get to hot
Wood shavings
2 chiks
I rescued these chiks the mom just left the eggs in the nest box and i managed to save them with help of others. Because they weren't receiving heat from the mother the last days so i made a quick home made incubator to save them and now they are 3 weeks old

Good job! But more details would be helpful.

How warm is the brooder under the heat source? How warm is the average brooder temp? What is the temp at the coolest end? What is the temp in the room where they chicks are, ambient temp?

What type of wood shavings? Pine? Cedar? Hemp? Aspen?

What type of feed? Is it finely milled? Dusty? What treats are you feeding? Are you supplying chick grit?

Generally, right after a change in their living quarters, chicks can experience stress. It can cause watery stools. If they are too warm, they drink a lot of water, causing watery stools. Dusty feed causes sneezing occasionally.

Chicks at three weeks no longer require heat during the day as long as the ambient temp is around 65 to 70. Continuing to heat them during the day slows down their ability to adjust to cooler temps, prolonging dependence on heat to their detriment.

Good job! But more details would be helpful.

How warm is the brooder under the heat source? How warm is the average brooder temp? What is the temp at the coolest end? What is the temp in the room where they chicks are, ambient temp?

What type of wood shavings? Pine? Cedar? Hemp? Aspen?

What type of feed? Is it finely milled? Dusty? What treats are you feeding? Are you supplying chick grit?

Generally, right after a change in their living quarters, chicks can experience stress. It can cause watery stools. If they are too warm, they drink a lot of water, causing watery stools. Dusty feed causes sneezing occasionally.

Chicks at three weeks no longer require heat during the day as long as the ambient temp is around 65 to 70. Continuing to heat them during the day slows down their ability to adjust to cooler temps, prolonging dependence on heat to their detriment.
Their feed is really crushed
I use pine shavings
There bantam chiks right now they are smaller than a normal chick
I will check the temp right now

If the temperature of their environment at 3 weeks is 80 degrees or higher they do not need a heat lamp. I had my chicks inside and didn’t use the heat lamp after a few weeks because they didn’t need it. It was summer and hot inside.

Back
Top Bottom