chicks dying , help....coccidiosis???? any thoughts....

ok an update.
sick chick is far from normal but putting on weight. the others had died by now presumably of starvation as they were emaciated.

the good signs...only one wing was drooping tonight.
she is standing more often than previously when she lay down.
she is putting on weight
both eyes were open again tonight and she seemed more alert.

the bad signs....she is un- coordinated with eating and will miss the target(still being crop fed for most of her food)
her head and neck movements are odd. hard to describe a bit like mild cerebral palsy.
her feet are weak and curl up a bit though she will straighten them when she walks..which she can do now.

without the crop feeding she would be dead. i'm still not sure what is causing this but i have given her st johns wort and will look for some fish oil and vitamin e tomorrow. it can't hurt after all. i continue to add garlic and kefir to her chick crumb puree every day...
Here is a link to look at.
She could have a vitamin defiency. This link is from realsis on BYC
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/796974/head-twitching-difficulty-swallowing-water/10

This sounds like my rooster that died. Dont know what was wrong with him but he died about 3 wks after he started acting that way. I thought he was blind as well. I never did find out what was wrong with him. If you find out what is wrong with your bird, please post it. It is obviously something we all need to know about.

hi
it was red mite that was killing them. my computer is playing up so i can't find the link to my post about it but i would never have thought it possible that red mite could produce such a range of symptoms. i saw no evidence of actual mites because i was looking too early at dusk. it needs to be really dark and with a torch.

What can be done for the red mites? How would I treat this? I did not find nay in my henhouse but that doesnt mean they arent there.

Food Grade Diatomacious earth. Easiest to apply with a puffer. I can't find my puffer right now. But it would make it extremely easy to get the DE under their feathers. Also make sure they have a dust bath area and mix DE in with that sand or dirt.

LibertyChick

DE didn't work for me, I put it everywhere, birds, coops, dirt, etc and they always had bugs. Big waste of money, IMNSHO.

-Kathy

I don't know if this is related or not but I'm having the same problem with my 6 month old chicks dyeing but I'm losing 1 or 2 a month and it's only my buff orps that's affected none of my almost 2 year olds are having a problem and I have month old lav and blue orps and there healthy too, so Im at a dead end on what it is but they start losing weight slowly stop eating and drinking and then just die.I'm wondering if it could be something genetic because I have various breeds some of which I got from tsc months ago but the other ones are fine.

I don't know if this is related or not but I'm having the same problem with my 6 month old chicks dyeing but I'm losing 1 or 2 a month and it's only my buff orps that's affected none of my almost 2 year olds are having a problem and I have month old lav and blue orps and there healthy too, so Im at a dead end on what it is but they start losing weight slowly stop eating and drinking and then just die.I'm wondering if it could be something genetic because I have various breeds some of which I got from tsc months ago but the other ones are fine.
Could be several issues. Any symptoms? I would look up info for Coccidosis,check for worms,check for mites/lice. Without any symptoms,very difficult to diagnose. Heat can also cause deaths,my buff orpingtons do not handle heat at all,i have to bring them inside my home with the A/C on.

Last edited:
for me it turned out to be red mites. i wouldn't have believed it but none have died since i discovered them in their millions and i really thought i didn't have them because it didn't tick the boxes.
i hope you solve the problem. it is so upsetting. do check at night when it is really dark with a torch, just in case.

I thought maybe worms I have been giving garlic hot pepper powder and sauce plus pumpkin did see acouple but that seems to be helping also been putting org apple cider in there water,I looked up the symptoms for coccidiosis but it's conflicting because there are so many diseases that have the same symptoms plus it's just the orps the rest are fine?

Back
Top Bottom