Chicks dying in run

goldenyears

Songster
Dec 9, 2019
Holly, Michigan
I recently moved some chicks from grow out area to new coop/run that was not in use. I re-cleaned, mixing in some lime with wood chips in the run and put new hemp with pdz in coop. My morning visit to the area found three dead chicks with no apparent damage and then later one chick was lethargic and then just kinda closed her eyes while I was holding her and died. What have I done? Any thoughts? It may be late, but I ordered probiotics, electrolytes and medicated feed from TSC for pickup this evening.

Wood chips are from a tree service and I use them in all the chicken areas and walkways.

Attachments

• 893DF52D-C1F5-4267-A584-65C85F0CCF12.jpeg
    893DF52D-C1F5-4267-A584-65C85F0CCF12.jpeg
    868.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 6AAB76CE-7027-49B2-8472-BF6AA648FC12.jpeg
    6AAB76CE-7027-49B2-8472-BF6AA648FC12.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 5D012555-F5F1-4EC9-86AC-B1DAC3A46CBE.jpeg
    5D012555-F5F1-4EC9-86AC-B1DAC3A46CBE.jpeg
    909.4 KB · Views: 5
  • B94AF8D3-7A35-4A7B-99C1-F8C5D08E3904.jpeg
    B94AF8D3-7A35-4A7B-99C1-F8C5D08E3904.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 4F315B48-F8BB-4918-B0F7-6C9572C7BED6.jpeg
    4F315B48-F8BB-4918-B0F7-6C9572C7BED6.jpeg
    713.1 KB · Views: 4
Have you considered Coccidiosis?
Did the chicks get fed medicated feed?
I would get some Corrid or whatever amprolium based drug you can find where you are and treat them all for coccidia.
I ordered some Corrid that will arrive Thursday. Meanwhile, I added electrolytes and probiotics to water. All the older chicks (4 months plus) and the hatchlings with mamas are doing fine. The various adult populations are doing fine as well, just this one group. Today the gang in question seem to be ok but I did see a loose stool in the run.

How soon after you moved them to the new(to them) area did they start to die?
Just to give you the progression, after incubator they go to brooder with heat plate and lamp for first couple weeks. Then to shed brooder with heat lamps for about two weeks and then to outdoor enclosure for about two weeks before I moved them to the bigger coop/run. After the first night I had deaths. I spent a couple hours inside the run today watching them and they appeared fine, though a couple were moving slow. I added a heat lamp and they seem to like that. It’s been in the 50s and wet here (75% of the run is covered) and will be in upper 40s tonight. I was thinking that maybe they were huddling and got crushed but have no direct evidence. Plus had another perish this evening in the middle of the run. As mentioned above, I did see a runny stool. Feeling guilty about my chicken keeping ability!

Hopefully the trees weren't from an area along roadsides where they spray noxious sprays to kill weeds.

Food was fresh, no stench? They have plenty of grit assuming they're finding bugs now?

You're more experienced than me but I'm going through my mental checklists as practice....

Hopefully the trees weren't from an area along roadsides where they spray noxious sprays to kill weeds.

Food was fresh, no stench? They have plenty of grit assuming they're finding bugs now?

You're more experienced than me but I'm going through my mental checklists as practice....
Lotsa bugs plus several flakes of alfalfa hay. I can’t be certain about the wood chips but they are from a pile I use everywhere. No weird odor from the feed - it’s from the same bag I used in the brooding area. Thanks for your input!

Just to give you the progression, after incubator they go to brooder with heat plate and lamp for first couple weeks. Then to shed brooder with heat lamps for about two weeks and then to outdoor enclosure for about two weeks before I moved them to the bigger coop/run. After the first night I had deaths. I spent a couple hours inside the run today watching them and they appeared fine, though a couple were moving slow. I added a heat lamp and they seem to like that. It’s been in the 50s and wet here (75% of the run is covered) and will be in upper 40s tonight. I was thinking that maybe they were huddling and got crushed but have no direct evidence. Plus had another perish this evening in the middle of the run. As mentioned above, I did see a runny stool. Feeling guilty about my chicken keeping ability!
I'm very sorry for your losses. I hate that your feeling guilty. I doubt that anyone could have done better. I hope treating for cocidosis will do the trick. Good luck!

Don’t beat yourself up, you’re way ahead of the curve and it’s clear you take great care of them. Sometimes nature just happens.

Back
Top Bottom