Chicks feet went limp

Victoralf

Hatching
Jun 27, 2017
I have a 7 or 8 week old sebright chick. She is in with 4 other chicks who are all healthy. She was fine then a week ago her toes on one foot would curl a bit when you picked her up but she still ran around fine. By the second day she was having to hop around more on the other leg, by the third day she could not walk but was still sitting up. By the fourth day she just laid mostly on her side with her eyes closed and we thought she was going to die until the fifth day when she perked up. We are now on the 10th day and she still can not sit up or stand but is eating and drinking when you hold her and is going to the bathroom normally. She chirps at the other chicks and gets super excited about food. Ive tried calling a vet in town but they just suggested she might have a slipped tendon from being on a grower feed but she had only been on it for maybe a few days before she started showing signs. She is separated from the rest of the chicks and i have been putting electrolights in her water and and putting the water on her food so she eats a porridge and some dry food. It was the pablum that got her eating again. She can still move her legs but she is getting stiff and her hocks seem to be soar ( I move her legs around gently every time I feed her to try to keep circulation in them). Her toes are basically just limp on both feet but she can sometimes wrap around your finger a bit. When she lies, she lies mostly to her side as her legs go out straight in front of her. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:
Is there swelling in the feet or hocks?

I really doubt the grower feed is the issue. Did they suggest why that might be a problem? I feed my whole flock meat bird pellets without issue, from 3 weeks old to years old.

7 or 8 month old...toes on one foot would curl a bit...second day she was having to hop around more on the other leg, by the third day she could not walk but was still sitting up. By the fourth day she just laid mostly on her side with her eyes closed and we thought she was going to die until the fifth day when she perked up. We are now on the 10th day and she still can not sit up or stand but is eating and drinking when you hold her and is going to the bathroom normally....She can still move her legs but she is getting stiff and her hocks seem to be soar....When she lies, she lies mostly to her side as her legs go out straight in front of her.

Can you post some photos or a video of her?

I agree with @SunHwaKwon generally grower feed would not cause leg issues.

Sometimes Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) deficiency can cause leg issues, but it sounds like your bird has some paralysis(?)

Do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's?

She may benefit from having B vitamins added to her feed - you can use poultry vitamins or crush a human B-Complex vitamin and add to the feed daily.

If she is laying down all the time, you may want to make her a sling to help keep her upright when you are home.

Here's some reading about Marek's for you: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

900x900px-LL-20778a8a_chickensling-500x276.jpeg

7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

Here's what Marek's can look like:

MD-004A%20x750.jpg

Reference: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/502#/disease/Marek's_Disease

I have considered Marek's but it is highly contagious and she was with the same chicks for a month and they are still all healthy and they were all from two different farms. She came with most of the ones she was in with. Usually with Mareks its asymmetrical paralysis which she does not have so I am not sure. There is vitamin b in the electrolytes. Ive actually been thinking about how I would make a sling so thanks for that pic thats awesome.

It could also be Riboflavin deficiency....I've been reading alot of that going on. CTP = Curly Toe Paralysis, it comes overnight & can be treated. TRY PolyVisol w/out iron 3 drops (on beak) 3x day, boiled egg yolk mixed with feed, plain yogurt, beef liver, yeast, anything high in riboflavin. Plus I taped his feet with band aid to straighten out it's toes. There's several threads with others having the same issue. Didn't try the sling that Wyorp Rock pictured but I did make sure my chick (1 out of 38) had traction for flooring & exercised the leg to keep it mobile.

Back
Top Bottom