Chicks neck turned weird?

Ldeal

Songster
8 Years
Sep 21, 2011
Fallon, NV
My Coop
My Coop
I just hatched my first clutch of eggs from my silkies. So far I have 3 hatched out but i noticed one isn't straightening out its neck. Its like curved? It seems happy and energetic just holds its head weird. Will it eventually straighten out to normal lines the others?
20190224_075023.jpg
20190224_075022.jpg
20190224_074956.jpg
That's it in the middle

It looks like wry neck, a vitamin E deficiency. Give it some vitamin E 400iu. Squeeze a bit of oil into the right side of its beak. Offer some finely minced boiled egg, white and yolk, to all the chicks and it will join the others in the feast. That will supply the selenium it needs to absorb the vitamin E. It should respond very quickly, then you can stop giving it.

It looks like wry neck, a vitamin E deficiency. Give it some vitamin E 400iu. Squeeze a bit of oil into the right side of its beak. Offer some finely minced boiled egg, white and yolk, to all the chicks and it will join the others in the feast. That will supply the selenium it needs to absorb the vitamin E. It should respond very quickly, then you can stop giving it.
I have vitamin e oil could I use that or do I just go buy the gel pills?

I gave it vitamin e yesterday and so far no change. I felt its neck and it feels like the bones grew that way. Im still going to treat for wry neck but I'm thinking I may have a crooked neck chick. Have you ever had one or heard of any making it if that's the case? It gets around great eats drinks and poops.

No, I've never heard of a crooked neck chicken, but there could be a genetic defect like that. Chickens can adapt to almost any defect as long as they can figure out how to eat and drink. Continue the vitamin E for a few days and if there's no improvement, it probably isn't going to work.

You never know, though, the chick could outgrow it and become normal.

My little chick is still fighting. I've been giving vitamin e with selenium as well as nutri-drench in her water. I've still seen no improvement with her neck but she is eating and drinking and gains about 2 grams a day. Still half the size of her hatch mates but will stand her ground for food. Is there anything else I should be doing to help this, could wry neck take this long to get over?
20190307_073429.jpg
She's the one staring up

Wry neck can be caused by different things. Some can be genetic, while others are organic. Some cases resolve practically overnight with the vitamin E treatment, while in some, genetics have predetermined a less successful outcome.

Keep up the treatment. Time will tell us which category this chick is in.

How is your little twisted neck chick doing? I got two chicks from a fella who has silkies. One turned out to have wry neck. After trying to keep her with the others I finally removed her and raised her for a few weeks alone. She still stays at night alone with me in a box on my bed. She is doing so much better. She is growing and her neck has straightened out. She no longer lays her head down. I think if you just give the chick time and the opportunity to get stronger by having unfettered access to food it will do just fine. All chicks I have had with wry neck have survived and done fine. Dont give up on it.
Here is Babsey today. She was so twisted up and now she is standing tall.

Attachments

• Babsey outdoors.JPG
    Babsey outdoors.JPG
    717.1 KB · Views: 0
How is your little twisted neck chick doing? I got two chicks from a fella who has silkies. One turned out to have wry neck. After trying to keep her with the others I finally removed her and raised her for a few weeks alone. She still stays at night alone with me in a box on my bed. She is doing so much better. She is growing and her neck has straightened out. She no longer lays her head down. I think if you just give the chick time and the opportunity to get stronger by having unfettered access to food it will do just fine. All chicks I have had with wry neck have survived and done fine. Dont give up on it.
Here is Babsey today. She was so twisted up and now she is standing tall.

Thank you! I really needed to see and hear about Babsey as I was getting really torn about if I'm doing the right thing. She's doing good, the 5 just went home so it's just her now so I'm hoping that'll make it easier for her. Im still giving vitamin e, egg yolk, nurtidrench and massaging her neck every day. She's spunky and can fly across the tub even all twisted up. She scares me though because she now turns it completely around then will right herself but as long as she's got spunk and fighting I'll be here for her. She's a little messy after her mash and yolk lunch lol
20190310_145714.jpg

Back
Top Bottom