Chicks not absorbing yolk

I couldn't keep the baby inside because I have a cat who would've ate him in the night but so far this morning the chick acts like a normal chick, running, playing, eating I hope it'll be ok.
How it is doing outside? Is this your first time hatching chicks? Just make sure they are warm and have a heat source. Glad to hear it's doing better. I would just let it heal at this point and if you notice the chick cheeping a lot or acting lethargic, then there might be an issue. Keep us posted! : )

I guess my main question is do I need to stop the chick from messing with it because I can keep it clean and isolated the chick but it's persistent about pecking at it. Over all the chick seems to be full of energy and is eating and drinking just fine.

Thank you for uploading a picture!
This will help the yolk experts help you better...

I certainly would make sure he/she can't peck it. And advice you to try and find vetwrap so you don't have to use a bandage which sticks to the feathers.

What should I do should I wrap it up so it's a mobile and just make sure it's eating and drinking or how should I wrap it I know with that rap but how

My personal opinion would be to make sure to clean/disinfect the area and wrap it so it can't get in touch with dirt. If your chick can walk, I would wrap him in a way he can continu doing so.
And after. check the area regularly. That said, I've never experienced this in this way. So I definitely advice you not to go by my word alone...

@WVduckchick @shawluvsbirds would you be able to assist?

For infected yolk sacs:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/chick-yolk-sac-infection-omphalitis

Usually they clear up within a couple days. How’s the chick acting otherwise? Eating and drinking ok? Walking ok?
I’d probably try to keep it inside until it’s healed over, if possible. Keep it dry and clean.

Back
Top Bottom