Chicks not walking

OFWGKTA

Chirping
Dec 27, 2023
Okay i know i already made a post about this and said they were fine but i realized they werent. Also people were focused on the other aspect so im just dedicating the post to this

My new babies are stumbling and barely walking. I thought they were fine but i've only seen them take like 7 steps then lay down. They are 8 hours old so idk if its their age or something else. Anybody who saw my last post yes i had my heater on them the whole day. Is there a fix? I saw somebody reccomend electrolytes.
20240124_191007.jpg

I just looked at your other thread. I don't think you have a problem. If they can walk and do walk, they are likely just tired. They just worked really hard getting out of the shell. They sleep a lot the first couple days. Sometimes people get them too warm. Be careful of that.
I usually only use a heat plate that they can barely get under. No added heat. I want them to find their comfort zone by moving in and out of the heated space.
Getting them food and water early is a good thing but not necessary. In nature under a hen, if they hatch earlier than their siblings, the hen will sit tight and won't take them to eat and drink so they can go a couple days without doing so.

It's normal for newly hatched chicks to sleep alot. Especially during the first week of their life. They do exactly as what you described so nothing to currently worry about.😊

I just looked at your other thread. I don't think you have a problem. If they can walk and do walk, they are likely just tired. They just worked really hard getting out of the shell. They sleep a lot the first couple days. Sometimes people get them too warm. Be careful of that.
I usually only use a heat plate that they can barely get under. No added heat. I want them to find their comfort zone by moving in and out of the heated space.
Getting them food and water early is a good thing but not necessary. In nature under a hen, if they hatch earlier than their siblings, the hen will sit tight and won't take them to eat and drink so they can go a couple days without doing so.
Yeah thanks, i was just confused cuz my other babies were much more energetic.

Back
Top Bottom