Chicks Outsied???

lizardboy55

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
I have two rir, two red sex links, and two amberlinks whom are huge and getting too big for their cage. (brooder) I ordered a coop and it should be here in about 1 to 2 weeks. the oldest is 5 weeks and the youngest is three weeks. Their feathered out, just not so much under their wings. Would I be able to put them outside when the coop comes? i live in Northern NJ and its been about high 60s as a high and low 50s to 40s at night.

Thanks!

I have two rir, two red sex links, and two amberlinks whom are huge and getting too big for their cage. (brooder) I ordered a coop and it should be here in about 1 to 2 weeks. the oldest is 5 weeks and the youngest is three weeks. Their feathered out, just not so much under their wings. Would I be able to put them outside when the coop comes? i live in Northern NJ and its been about high 60s as a high and low 50s to 40s at night.

Thanks!
Yes, they should be fine to go out in the coop at 5 weeks old. That fits right into your delivery schedule. If you are worried just put some extra hardwood chips in for them to snuggle in. I wouldn't worry about them perching right now. They can learn that later when their cartilaginous breastbones harden up and won't get bent by pressing against the perch when they roost. 8 weeks is plenty early for them to learn to roost.
Best,
Karen

Yes, they should be fine to go out in the coop at 5 weeks old. That fits right into your delivery schedule. If you are worried just put some extra hardwood chips in for them to snuggle in. I wouldn't worry about them perching right now. They can learn that later when their cartilaginous breastbones harden up and won't get bent by pressing against the perch when they roost. 8 weeks is plenty early for them to learn to roost.
Best,
Karen

Thank You!

Last edited:

Thanks!

These guys were 3 weeks old when I put them outside in late
January but the temps were 60F in the day time and brought
them in the house at night but by 6 weeks they stayed outside
as the temps only got down to 50F and I covered the cage
with a blanket to keep out any drafts ....

Back
Top Bottom