chicks pipping upside down?

Pidgey104

Cochins R Us
16 Years
Nov 10, 2007
Mooresburg TN
What causes this? I have a 1201 inubator with the three turning trays. I add water every week. temp running 100.1. is that too hot? so way are chicks pipping upside down? in the pointed end of the egg?

They are living things. Anything can happen.

Pipping in the bottom area is not all that unusual. It is not normal, but it is not that unusual. It is not ideal, but many do that and survive OK. These are some of the possible causes.

Florida Incubation Troubleshooting
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204

ac.Sign: Chicks malpositioned. Normal position after 19 days of incubation: embryo's long axis same as long axis of egg; head in large end of egg; head to the right and under right wing; beak toward air cell; feet toward head. Causes:

ad.
i.Eggs set small end up or in horizontal position.

ii.Inadequate or improper turning.

iii.High or low incubator temperature.

iv.High humidity.

v.Old breeders.

vi.Round-shaped eggs or very large eggs.

vii.Nutritional deficiencies, especially vitamin A and vitamin B12.

viii.Eggs handled or stored improperly.

ix.Retarded development.

x.Embryos <18 days old may be in a position different from that for hatching but one normal for their age (for example, the head-between-thighs position). The feet-over-head position is hard to distinguish and may be normal. The beak-over-wing position is probably a normal variant. Some malpositions are lethal; others are not.

Well the few that has tried to hatch has not made it. they end up dieing in the shell. When They do make it. They never get up and walk its like the neck is stuck in the downward position. so they never make it. Just took the last of the eggs I got from the sunshine classics show and tossed them. They were died in the shell.

also have to wonder. I have my inubator sitting outside on the porch.Can't have it in the house to much dust. The lowest it has gotten here is 30. The inubator holds the same Temp no matter what. is there a way that that might be messing my hatches up?

Back
Top Bottom