Chicks singing - is it an Ameraucana/ EE thing?

chics in the sun

Songster
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
St.Petersburg
I raised three chicks from about 10 days old, and now have two more. One is an Olive Egger - BCM/ Am mix, and one is a hatchery EE. They are still indoors in a brooder in my laudry room, and every nigtht when it starts to get dark, they become so vocal. They sound like "real" birds, singing and chirping for about two hours. Loud. I don't remeber the other three (BR, Leg, and PR) doing this at all! They go on and on....... is this a breed thing? I don't think they are in distress or anything, but I'm not sure. Anyone else have this experience with EE or Ameraucana mixes?

Quote:
I think it's pretty normal. When mine were in the brooder they would start getting vocal at about 7:30. It would slowly wind down until they were just "purring". The purring would slowly get quieter and quieter until they were all silent. Occasionally you would hear a soft purr thoughout the night. I guess they talk in their sleep.
They were in my dining room so I would hear them all day long. BTW, I don't have EE or Ameraucanas.

That is one thing I noticed with my recent batch of EEs. They chatter and sometimes trill to each other around 7pm and wind down, it isn't until 9pm or so that they are very softly and occassionally peeping. Maybe they're like human kids protesting or playing around after you put them to bed? My others, Jersey Giant, Barred Rocks and Buff Orphington didn't do that, they would just squawk if something was wrong at bedtime.

I guess it's the vocalizations themselves that sound so different from the other chicks. It's funny to listen to. Maybe they are taking a que from my three year old, who's bedroom is next to the laundry room where they are kept, and who will lay in bed jabbering to himself FOREVER before falling asleep.

Back
Top Bottom