Chicks toe fell off??

BethFitz

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
We just got 6 chicks last weekend. 1 we noticed has curled toes which we have made a bit better with boots. Another, however, we noticed had a blackened toe. Today we noticed that it actually fell off! It bled a bit but has stopped. Is there anything we should do? Will she be ok? Is this common? She doesn't seem to be bothered or being pecked at by any of the others. Any suggestions would help! Thanks so much!

One of my chicks was born without a toe from the last knuckle to the claw on the left foot. We noticed it about four days post-hatch, and since we ordered these chicks we didn't know if it was something that happened after she hatched or if it was genetic deformation. We've noticed another from the same hatch that has been curling under and outwards the outside toes. We don't know what to do about these birds ourselves.

The one without a toe and the one with curled toes on one foot are doing well - they eat and drink plenty, are feathering out nicely, and seem to have found a way around their deformations. Since we'll be controlling the breeding, I won't use those hens for hatchlings.

The missing toe girl (Fancy Feet) and the girl with the crooked toes on one foot (Sissy) both were shipped chicks - Aussies to be exact. Other than those two, everyone else looks great. Those two girls are my sweetest and most socialized girls - probably from being handled more than the others - so they've already got a spot in my heart as pets. <3

The one with the missing digit and the other one with two curled toes are doing very well - they've adjusted to their issues, walk, run, and such just fine. I wanted to raise ours as not only producers for the family/community, but also as pets - so I followed the advice to leave them be for the first day so they could acclimate to their new surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom