Child taken off plane because mother slapped her...

Quote:
As I said, earlier, if they can figure out, at the age of 4 months, that screaming brings attention and satisfaction, it wouldn't take them long to figure out that incessant screaming brings punishment...You are surely not going to wait, until it's time to take away the Ipod, cellphone or carkeys, to bring their minds into line, with your agenda.....Hopefully....Sadly, it's too often the case.

Quote:
I agree. And the dog bite should be reported unless it is a family dog then it is the parent's discrection in what is going to happen to the dog and what consquences they will face if and when the dog bites again. A 13 mo old child is going to get into everything, including a dog's tail which the dog would have react to the pain of pulling the tail (yes, dogs should never bite no matter what the young infants and toddlers are doing but a teenager teasing the dog warrants a bite in his butt!)

If it was a 13 year old child, a slap in the face for cussing or disrespecting a passenger or parent, would warrant a punishment but it is HOW HARD you slap is what's the difference.

A big difference in disciplining and abusing.

I remember traveling alone with my dd when she was 14mo.We had 3 planes and about 20 or so hours of travel. I did not drug her or yell at her. I didn't let her run around the plane to let off steam either like some kids were doing. I remember taking toys,puppets,bubbles,and snacks. I do not recall many tantrums in her early years,but if she were *freaking* I would hold her firmly and talk soothingly to her.
One time she cried on one of the planes and the guy in front did finger puppeting through the seat till she calmed down.

Not sure how I feel about this incident.Wrong of the mom to smack the childs face for sure.Stop the leg from kicking,and a firm NO would have been my response. I know some kids can be a handful,but I don't get how hitting will stop hitting except that the child will fear a more severe beating. That child will have a tense life ahead of her in that family

One flight, thankfully only from Little Rock-DFW, when I was younger (Mom here, Dad there) one family had three or so kids... all under I'd say five. As soon as the seatbelt light went off, so did the kids. Up and down the aisles screaming, running, etc. while the parents just ignored it all.

It was particularly bad because that was the flight where the pressure dropped and the mask hoobajoobs popped out and everyone was supposed to sit down and buckle in... bad enough... but throw in three screaming, running, hiding, catch me if you can kids... I'm surprised no one had a heart attack.

And again, the parents were the last to do doodly. I think maybe they drugged themselves and just said to heck with dealing with the kids... the easier route for them... not so much everyone else, including workers, on the plane.

Honestly, if you know your child isn't a good flyer, find an alternate route... shorter rides... or driving... or something. You do NOT go apepoop on them when they act exactly as you knew they would... sheesh, you're poda be the grownup.

Can't imagine how this one will treat any younger siblings, cousins, etc that come along... you cry, you get slapped... you annoy me, you get slapped... well, that's the way Mommy does it... so it must be right..
roll.png
OY people just do NOT think.

Quote:
As I said, earlier, if they can figure out, at the age of 4 months, that screaming brings attention and satisfaction, it wouldn't take them long to figure out that incessant screaming brings punishment...You are surely not going to wait, until it's time to take away the Ipod, cellphone or carkeys, to bring their minds into line, with your agenda.....Hopefully....Sadly, it's too often the case.

I hope for the love of all that is holy or might be holy that you are not advocating so called punishment of FOUR MONTH OLD babies here.

Not hardly, just pointing out that out of control teenagers didn't get that way, by happenchance. Generally, it's the cause of some silly belief that physical punishment, which is often swift, severe and to the point, is somehow, archaic and neandrethal, and anyone who employs such techniques, should be treated as a criminal.
I can guarantee you, if, as a 4 year old, I were to destroy a candy or cereal shelf, in Walmart, because I wanted thus and thus, I wouldn't have lived to see tomorrow.

Today, that's considered proper child rearing.

Quote:
When I was three I kicked my brother. (He was a newborn.) He was annoying me and I think the same thing was going through my head.

Hitting kids only causes lasting emotional damage. How much do you want to bet in 20 years we'll get a report this child was arrested for assaulting someone?????

I am not really going to get into an argument only make a statement! My family used physical punishment on all of us kids! We have never been in jail, arrested, or hurt anyone with out provocation! My cousins and friends who only ever got verbal reprimands or time outs...etc well, Most (not all) of them are in jail, have been in jail, or are abusive to their family and loved ones! I have never been abused! I can honestly say I never got a whippin I didn't deserve! I never repeated the offense either! I learned real quick!

I know not every one is the same and not every one turns out the same But I base my judgements on what I have seen and experienced for myself! Look at the world we live in now! And look at how it was 50 years ago. What has changed? Punishment, Gov, leadership, family values, and all of the PC garbage! This is the world The bleeding hearts have made it! I hope you enjoy it! And stop blamming the normal people for your messing things up! Normal people learn from their mistakes and change. Bleeding hearts just keep going and blaming every one else!

There is a limit to punishment and you have to figure out what works. Some, it doesn't have to be physical some, it does!
There is a difference in punishment and abuse!

I do NOT condone hitting a small child/baby!!!!!!

I know this is way off topic but I didn't start it! LOL
tongue.gif

God Bless!
I will not post on this thread again or read it again!

Last edited:
There's a difference between swatting a bottom to teach a toddler not to play with the stove... that swat hurts a LOT less than that burn would have... and trying to explain that to a munchkin who isn't fluent in English yet... tricky. That's acceptable in my book...

Slapping a child anytime they speak, annoy you, draw attention... different story.

If those two hypothetical kiddos duplicate the parents' behavior in both cases... in the first they may stop their younger sib from touching the stove... not a bad thing... but in the second they could start smacking them any time they feel like it... because that's what it seems like the parents are doing.

And those habits will translate to school later... one will try to stop or tell the teacher if a student is doing something dangerous... the other will just hit/kick/bit anyone who annoys them.

It isn't just what the punishment is, but why it's given and making sure the kiddo knows why they're punished. The whole point is supposed to be to teach a lesson, prevent future offenses... but if the kiddo doesn't know what they did wrong...

Seems pretty obvious to me.. but I've seen plenty of examples... they just do not get it. And it leaves the kid hurt, physically and emotionally, because they just can't do anything right. And, it also teaches them to not come to Mom/Dad when something is wrong... it might get you slapped... broken arm, bee sting, fire... well it could be really bad if a child is too afraid to speak up.

You can discipline a child and not have them fear you... unfortunately this lady (use the term loosely) just doesn't seem to have the control needed to do that.

Back
Top Bottom